Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

maker of things wrote:And like vacuuming, how many times will you try before you finally just take your glove off like you could have the first time?
I will grab my pliers before I take my glove off. That would be admitting failure :lol:
if there's a welder, there's a way
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Olivero wrote:
maker of things wrote:And like vacuuming, how many times will you try before you finally just take your glove off like you could have the first time?
I will grab my pliers before I take my glove off. That would be admitting failure :lol:
But we still try to pick it up with our gloves on for a little while like dumbasses :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

exnailpounder wrote:
Olivero wrote:
But we still try to pick it up with our gloves on for a little while like dumbasses :lol:
Always :lol:
exnailpounder

Us welders ain't too bright but we catch on eventually 8-)
    Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:52 am

exnailpounder wrote:Us welders ain't too bright but we catch on eventually 8-)
That is good to hear, can't wait till it happens to me... :lol:
-Jon

I learned how to weld at night, but not last night. (despite how my weld looks)

Lincoln Viking 3350 K3034-2&3
Dynasty 210DX w/cps and coolmate3
Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram
exnailpounder

maker of things wrote:
The light starts to come on after the first time you forget to put the ground on your work and the High Frequency zaps your ass to remind you. That will wise you up quick but the glove thing takes longer to figure out :lol:

exnailpounder wrote:
maker of things wrote:
The light starts to come on after the first time you forget to put the ground on your work and the High Frequency zaps your ass to remind you. That will wise you up quick but the glove thing takes longer to figure out :lol:
Not nearly as long as remembering to turn on and off the gas :lol:
exnailpounder

I make it a habit when I walk by my welders to twist the knob and make sure the bottles are off and I'll be damned if I checked my Mig the other day and it was left on. I used it for 5 friggin minutes and forgot to shut it off. Maybe I should cut back to only a fifth of vodka a day or only a case of beer instead of 2...or not 8-)
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

exnailpounder wrote:I make it a habit when I walk by my welders to twist the knob and make sure the bottles are off and I'll be damned if I checked my Mig the other day and it was left on. I used it for 5 friggin minutes and forgot to shut it off. Maybe I should cut back to only a fifth of vodka a day or only a case of beer instead of 2...or not 8-)
No expert on health or medicine but it may help you remember to turn off the gas. And will save you money on gas.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
JFF45
    Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:13 pm

Until I finally bought my own gas bottles, I was getting gas from a company here called Air Liquide and their bottles just had a red lever to open/close which I thought was a really good idea because you could see at a glance if the bottle was open or closed.
The last argon refill I got has such a hard tap I need two hands to open/close it..
John
exnailpounder

Farmwelding wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:I make it a habit when I walk by my welders to twist the knob and make sure the bottles are off and I'll be damned if I checked my Mig the other day and it was left on. I used it for 5 friggin minutes and forgot to shut it off. Maybe I should cut back to only a fifth of vodka a day or only a case of beer instead of 2...or not 8-)
No expert on health or medicine but it may help you remember to turn off the gas. And will save you money on gas.
Gas is wwaayy cheaper than alcohol but I don't have to drive 35 miles to the liquor store like I do the lws. I look forward to both trips 8-)
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

WTF ... 4 pages on bending the end of the filler rod ???

Well I may as well add to it. I was told to do it at TAFE (trade school) for safety reasons, O/A mild steel filler rod.

That was in 1991 and the steel caps/eye protection/gloves thing wasn't mandatory at the time.

As for welding the little bits together :shock: I dont bend a hook in mine, I go through them way too fast for that. I can get down to the last 1.5 inches or so if it means I can finish the joint in one go. It isn't a busy day in my garage if there aren't at least a dozen little bits of filler strewn on the floor. I am fastidious when it comes to wearing gloves though so don't have to worry so much about being zapped (hasn't happened yet) or picking up the hot end. Picked up the hot end without gloves too many times at work silver brazing copper so I've learnt my lesson.

Its amazing how much damage a hot rod end or copper pipe can do before the signal gets from your fingers to your brain to say its f$#king hot.
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
Rudy Ray
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

Free, first come first served, approx 7 lbs of SS 308L TIG filler rod, 3/32" and 1/16", random lengths.
Perfect for the guy who likes to weld the stubs together.
Attachments
IMG_0033.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG (37.58 KiB) Viewed 1447 times

Rudy Ray wrote:Free, first come first served, approx 7 lbs of SS 308L TIG filler rod, 3/32" and 1/16", random lengths.
Perfect for the guy who likes to weld the stubs together.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Richard
Website
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Was a requirement at my place we worked in food industry. Also had to sign out rod and account on paper for all rod, tungsten and left over stubs, imagine if that was in the food somehow.

bruce991 wrote:Was a requirement at my place we worked in food industry. Also had to sign out rod and account on paper for all rod, tungsten and left over stubs, imagine if that was in the food somehow.
Understandable, probably in some aerospace and defense shops also
Richard
Website
Rudy Ray

I don't even want to discuss things that I have seen in chicken processing plants.
Places that make the high dollar name brand chicken.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I worked at an industrial laundry that served hospitals. Think that they account for all the metal bits from the operations....Think again. Sharp bits used to puncture the diaphragm that squeezed the washed linen.
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Rudy Ray wrote:I don't even want to discuss things that I have seen in chicken processing plants.
Tyson? LOL
Rudy Ray

Not Tyson, raw chicken.

Does Tyson sell raw chicken?
    Sat May 24, 2014 5:55 pm

as soon as you poke yourself in the eye you'll know why... I never did that myself welding at home but as soon as I got a job welding and would go through filler rod like potato chips on some big projects, it increased the eye skewering possibility ten-fold so I always bend the ends now... of course I do worry about the hooked end snagging my eyelid and ripping it off, but I bet that would be a bit of a stretch
can't believe it took me this many years to buy a diamond wheel for my bench grinder... what a difference
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Another reason to have shook is to hook into your glasses to hold while welding ;) or for a teacher to screw around with you and make you all confused when he says to put it on your glasses.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:08 am

Rudy Ray wrote:I don't even want to discuss things that I have seen in chicken processing plants.

My retirement plan is for someone to give me a quarter for every chicken in a 5 mile radius from my house. They can put a LOT of chickens in one house and there are usually 3-6 houses on a farm and probably 15 - 20 farms in that area out where I live. Now, if only I could find that someone.... :lol:

On the subject though, the hook makes it easier to pull the welpers across the welding table (where you put them "out of the way") so you don't have to get up from your stool.
"Why is there never time to do anything right the first time but always time to do it again?"