It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:53 pm Advanced search

Made in China Tig welders

Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

Made in China Tig welders

Postby Fly » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:14 am

Guy,s I have a Miller 200 tig syntonic wave transformer type. Its got pulse & everything a guy needs. Welds great.
But been looking at these new ones as a back up. Is there really any of these china tig welders that are
worth buying. I hear good, then I hear bad. Some say many are the same company with different
names.

I know this question comes up offend. But I trust the people here. Many of you have been there done that.
So we are talking a 200 amp tig for under $1500. Single phase.

Fly :D
Fly

Re: Made in China Tig welders

Postby PeteM » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:49 am

I haven't tried any of the machines with features, but have the stripped down harbor fright ( :lol: ) 160A machine. It's not exceptionally good or bad, it just is. I'm not particularly fond of it and only got it to stay sharp with on stick and and tig, but have used it to put a few things together here and there.

I guess that the best thing I can say about it is that it hasn't broken yet, but I don't really expect much from hobbyist grade/light duty machines.
PeteM
Ace

Postby weldin mike 27 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:55 am

There is a vast section of machines that are made in China. If you want a back up machine, at a certain price, its the only way to go. (unless you buy second hand, which isn't that bad of an idea) My advice is to stick to a brand that has a bit of substance around it, such as everlast, and a decent warranty. Ones with fancy names from ebay or home depot look the goods, but may not come when called.

Mick
weldin mike 27
Weldmonger

Postby Poland308 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:58 am

I've got a thermal arc 186 that I've been real happy with. It's a 200 amp machine with ac/dc tig. High freq and pulse. It stick welds very nice too. We use mostly Miller stuff at work it welds as nice as those do. Had it for a couple of years now and use it weekly and never had any trouble.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby MinnesotaDave » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:21 pm

Poland308 wrote:I've got a thermal arc 186 that I've been real happy with. It's a 200 amp machine with ac/dc tig. High freq and pulse. It stick welds very nice too. We use mostly Miller stuff at work it welds as nice as those do. Had it for a couple of years now and use it weekly and never had any trouble.

I like thermal arc products. Currently have an older 300 and a 161.

Personal opinion - Thermal Arc isn't in the same category as an importer like everlast.

Thermal Arc is a company, the other is a container. Price would be the deciding point between them I would guess.

But like I said, personal opinion only.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger

Postby PeteM » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:37 pm

I could have it mixed up, but I thought that thermal arc was a Thermadyne product. Some of these companies have changed hands a couple times in the past decade or so though. Last I knew they were solid heavy industrial manufacturer.
PeteM
Ace

Postby LtBadd » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:38 pm

PeteM wrote:I could have it mixed up, but I thought that thermal arc was a Thermadyne product. Some of these companies have changed hands a couple times in the past decade or so though. Last I knew they were solid heavy industrial manufacturer.

Victor bought the Thermal Arc brand..

"Victor Technologies already includes multiple brands for products in different applications of the welding, cutting, and gas-control industries. The former Thermadyne Holdings Corp. was purchased by private-equity investors in 2010, and rebranded as Victor Technologies International Inc. The portfolio includes Victor, Victor Thermal Dynamics, Victor Arcair, Victor TurboTorch, Tweco, Thermal Arc, Stoody, Firepower and Cigweld."

Link here
Richard

Insert witty, sarcastic, or philosophical remark here.
LtBadd
Weldmonger

Postby PeteM » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:26 pm

LtBadd wrote:
PeteM wrote:I could have it mixed up, but I thought that thermal arc was a Thermadyne product. Some of these companies have changed hands a couple times in the past decade or so though. Last I knew they were solid heavy industrial manufacturer.

"Victor Technologies already includes multiple brands for products in different applications of the welding, cutting, and gas-control industries. The former Thermadyne Holdings Corp. was purchased by private-equity investors in 2010, and rebranded as Victor Technologies International Inc. The portfolio includes Victor, Victor Thermal Dynamics, Victor Arcair, Victor TurboTorch, Tweco, Thermal Arc, Stoody, Firepower and Cigweld."

Link here

Thanks! That clears up quite a bit.
PeteM
Ace

Postby MinnesotaDave » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:33 pm

LtBadd wrote:

Link here

Didn't they get ESAB too?
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:47 pm

I don't know what goes on with those companies. All I know is that the combined website is confusing as hell. There is like six companies on the established website and you can't hardly find anything.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Next

Return to Tig Welding - Tig Welding Aluminum - Tig Welding Techniques - Aluminum Tig Welding