Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Glowzinski
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

Ok, new to welding. Order an AHP Alpha tig welder. It shall arrive on the 30th. I want to weld aluminum first. I have an idea for a wedding gift for my brother. haha Anyway, I was reading about thorium. I mean, that shit doesn't seem safe at all. All of a sudden, all the local birds have like 8 foot wings. haha Are there any tungsten rods I can get, that DON'T have that in them? I will be so nervous when I would use those. The dust from sharpening the tip would be in my cloths, gloves and who knows what else. Just a question from a nervous guy is all.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Glowzinski wrote:Ok, new to welding. Order an AHP Alpha tig welder. It shall arrive on the 30th. I want to weld aluminum first. I have an idea for a wedding gift for my brother. haha Anyway, I was reading about thorium. I mean, that shit doesn't seem safe at all. All of a sudden, all the local birds have like 8 foot wings. haha Are there any tungsten rods I can get, that DON'T have that in them? I will be so nervous when I would use those. The dust from sharpening the tip would be in my cloths, gloves and who knows what else. Just a question from a nervous guy is all.
Get lanthanated if thorium bothers you. Every bit as good, no radiation.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
Glowzinski wrote:Ok, new to welding. Order an AHP Alpha tig welder. It shall arrive on the 30th. I want to weld aluminum first. I have an idea for a wedding gift for my brother. haha Anyway, I was reading about thorium. I mean, that shit doesn't seem safe at all. All of a sudden, all the local birds have like 8 foot wings. haha Are there any tungsten rods I can get, that DON'T have that in them? I will be so nervous when I would use those. The dust from sharpening the tip would be in my cloths, gloves and who knows what else. Just a question from a nervous guy is all.
Get lanthanated if thorium bothers you. Every bit as good, no radiation.
Yup, don't snort it like coke and you'll be ok. The lanthanated will not snap like a thoriated so it will need to be cut when you booger it up, buy 2 packs as a newbie :mrgreen:
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

2% Lanthanated holds up a lot better on A.C. anyway and takes longer for it ball up even under a high positive balance. It works great for everything else too but I do use 2% Thoriated for a lot of things especially 4130. That's my choice, personally I believe the Thoriated scare is overrated. Unless you ingest large amounts your gonna recieve higher doses of radiation from your day to day environment or from medical test. If you have 2% Thoriated that you would like disposed of I will gladly get rid of it for you. ;) :lol:

If you go for Lanthanated make sure to get 2% holds up lot better than 1 or 1.5% lot of LWS do not have it and counter guys never heard of it. I believe Jody selling it, I get mine from USA weld they have great prices on it.
0824162053a.jpg
0824162053a.jpg (45.06 KiB) Viewed 903 times
Amp ratings labels I added for quick reference.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
Glowzinski

Thank you for the tips. Someone from youtube, suggested I use E3 purple top tungsten. I will have to look yours and this one up. ;)
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Here's a couple of videos by Jody on subject of tungsten

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bpanERwagaU

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DzEuV83UGMY
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
Drunken Moose
    Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:53 am

I currently use the purple, have used thoriated as well. Haven't noticed much of a difference, but still new. I also have heard t E3 don't hold up as well as thoriated at higher amps, but haven't been at higher amps myself. The thoriated scare is over done. I only glow a little lol.
Glowzinski

:lol: :shock:
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Some time back, i forget what internet forum, there was a lot of talk about how great the radnor E3 electrodes were. The package doesn't tell what kind of electrode it us, so I looked up the MSDS and found out they are 1.3 to 1.7% lanthanated.

Never used the e3 so maybe they are just magic, but since you mentioned you're on a budget, 2% lanth is an excellent overall choice. In addition to DirtMidget's suggestion i've had good dealings with Weldingcity.com.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Turbo
    Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:11 pm

I like thoriated better than E3, but they seem to weld close to the same. I finally tried the ceriated that came with the dynasty a few weeks ago and was like "ceriated, where have you been all my life." Anyway ceriated(grey) and lanthanated(blue) are definitely my top two for aluminum or probably anything. I haven't tried LaYZr.
Miller Dynasty 210dx

instagram: rsengineeringllc
    Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:19 pm

The only good ones I've found (in my opinion) are 2% Thoriated, 2% Lanthanated and Zirconiated (for aluminum). However, if you're THAT concerned about Thorium, look up the MSDS of the fillers and gases you use. Ozone, the fumes from the metal burning, the chemicals in the filler wire, tungsten... none of that is good for. If you're worried, buy a respirator and blow yourself off with air/ vacuum as much as you can off at the end of the day. :mrgreen:
Glowzinski

haha Good point! :idea: