Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
lazylabs
    Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:48 pm

I have a fair bit of MIG and stick welding experience. I bought a TIG torch to hookup to my miller thunderbolt stick welder and need to weld some 304 stainless. I believe I have the hookups correct WP17 weldcraft torch 5/32 tungsten, pure argon set at 15. I get ready to try my first arc at 40 amps. I am thinking I will scratch start and get a fairly small arc and wow was I wrong. I got a big flash and the tungsten just disappeared. The cup was just covered in vaporized tungsten and it melted to a ball right up to the collet. I have no idea where to start from here............ help!

sounds like you are on reverse polarity...aka dcep

you may have the leads swapped in which case your polarity selector will be lying to you.
lazylabs
    Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:48 pm

That was it, thanks. It's working quite a bit better now but I am still way too hot. I have my welder turned down as low as it will go and still get a puddle over 1/4" wide almost instantly. Thanks for the help.