Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
colin
    Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:29 pm

wondered if anybody can give me advice???
I welded stainless 1.2mm sheet for 1st time today using a miller aerowave hybrid, pure argon, and a 1.6 tip (silver end colour)
All looked ok when under way, but when complete, weld bead looked black in colour, and a bit rough, penetration was good. Looks like I still have a ways to go...can anybody put me straight? Cheers...Colin
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

I'm no tig master(so in other words get a second opinion), but it think these are all cuased by not having enough gas, or not keeping the gas confined to the small area which you are welding. For example, in pressure pipe or handrails welding, you might close off and purge he inside. with a flat peice, you might need to close it off somehow.... but how? I dont know. if ll else fails use a stick machine and 308 rod.

-Rick :twisted: :evil: :oops: :arrow: :geek: :ugeek:
colin
    Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:29 pm

Thanks mate,after reading your reply I've had another crack at it today with a smaller cup, and slightly more gas, thus protecting the molten pool , with good results. It made sense when you suggested that the gas was the culprit. Many thanks...I owe you one, Colin.