Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

[quote="Poland308"]You get more radiation from getting 1 X-ray at the dentist than you will from tungsten. Unless you start snorting the dust under the grinder.[/quote
Can you get buzzed off it? I use it in my secret rib rub...never thought about snorting it. :lol: If anyone is afraid of radiation...you're living on the wrong planet.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
Poland308 wrote:You get more radiation from getting 1 X-ray at the dentist than you will from tungsten. Unless you start snorting the dust under the grinder.[/quote
Can you get buzzed off it? I use it in my secret rib rub...never thought about snorting it. :lol: If anyone is afraid of radiation...you're living on the wrong planet.
Especially if you are in California.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

I am starting to get the idea someone didn't catch my sarcasm. But let me hammer the nail to the point here.

There are so many warnings about all and every thing that will kill you, everything is dangerous and that's how it is. I am not worried about Thorium's slight alpha radiation or whatever its called nor so much from the fumes of welding.

I wear a mask and protect myself as much as I can stand cause when its hot outside, I will gladly carry a burn on my arm than having to sweat my way through a job, Florida summer is like a 24/7 sauna, it's so wet outside its retarded.
if there's a welder, there's a way

exnailpounder wrote: One of my best friends is 91 years old... poked a hole in his dust mask so he could smoke his stogie while he worked
:lol: :lol: :lol: would love to see a pic of that
Richard
Website
Danylo66
    Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:16 am

Spent the last few days, on my spare time, reading about thorium.
Apperantly Thorium is naturaly occuring and everyone on the planet is injesting it. The percentages are small, or should I say microscopic, or even smaller then that. It usually passes through the body. Yes the worst way for it to enter into your body is though and into your lungs.
That being said, I wonder how much asbestos I have breathed in in my life as a Plumber. Pipe coverd with it, Vermiculite in ayyics as insulation. Floor tiles with asbestose in them, Bricks with asbestos in them. The list goes on. Apperantly my risk of a heart attack are greater. Thats because Ive had one. :o :D All good now.But thats getting of topic.
Wear a mask while grinding ANYTHING. just common sence.
If you dont like thoriated tungsten thats fine by me dont use it.
Now getting back to what tungstens are good, I have had the chance to try Ceriated tungsten Not sure what percentage.
Ive tried it on Stainless with a DC tig or GTAW, If you prefure, and it worked perfectly. best tight arch ive seen so far.
So I am from now on using ceriated tungsten for stainless.
I will how ever, as money permits, keep trying other tungstens as well. :D :D
Farmwelding

Ceriated is okay-in fact it is all I use because that is all my teacher has at school. 3/32" on everything from35-180 amps. No problems from me. Keeps it shape pretty well to at higher amperages and even keeps its point on AC. As for zirconiated-don't do it especially on AC. That will get destroyed after a little AC is run through it. Good arc start on the first bead after sharpening and then after that it walks enough you may as will give it your dog to take for a walk
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Farmwelding wrote:Ceriated is okay-in fact it is all I use because that is all my teacher has at school. 3/32" on everything from35-180 amps. No problems from me. Keeps it shape pretty well to at higher amperages and even keeps its point on AC. As for zirconiated-don't do it especially on AC. That will get destroyed after a little AC is run through it. Good arc start on the first bead after sharpening and then after that it walks enough you may as will give it your dog to take for a walk

That's a crap quality zirconium you have then . That mix was developed for AC welding where tungsten inclusions picked up during radiographic testing would fail the weld.

Before all the other " stuff " came on the market, it was the electrode of choice for high current AC work.
Farmwelding

kiwi2wheels wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:Ceriated is okay-in fact it is all I use because that is all my teacher has at school. 3/32" on everything from35-180 amps. No problems from me. Keeps it shape pretty well to at higher amperages and even keeps its point on AC. As for zirconiated-don't do it especially on AC. That will get destroyed after a little AC is run through it. Good arc start on the first bead after sharpening and then after that it walks enough you may as will give it your dog to take for a walk

That's a crap quality zirconium you have then . That mix was developed for AC welding where tungsten inclusions picked up during radiographic testing would fail the weld.

Before all the other " stuff " came on the market, it was the electrode of choice for high current AC work.
Well... that might explain why we have about 10 packages we got for free from some store... Well I guess tat is probably why
Nick
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Farmwelding wrote:
kiwi2wheels wrote:

Well... that might explain why we have about 10 packages we got for free from some store... Well I guess tat is probably why
Try and get your teacher to buy this handbook ; https://www.amazon.com/Gas-Tungsten-Arc ... 1605257931

Even better, if you can, buy your own.

kiwi2wheels wrote: That's a crap quality zirconium you have then . That mix was developed for AC welding where tungsten inclusions picked up during radiographic testing would fail the weld.

Agreed, it was developed during the ice, err, I mean transformer era.

@Farmwelding... you're not supposed to sharpen it to a point for AC welding, I always switched to EP and using very low amps would ball the tungsten after cleaning on a bench grinder
Richard
Website