Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

I was wondering what is the best choice when buying carbide burrs for use on aluminum prep for welding. I mean shape, shaft diameter, and how coarse? I see a lot of cheap sets in 1/8" diameter shafts and wonder if a dremel is up to the task for most repairs or if 1/4" diameter and a drill motor is better? If one shape is ideal maybe I would focus on that as opposed to buy a set of 10 cheapos. Any links?
Thanks,
electrode
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

electrode wrote:I was wondering what is the best choice when buying carbide burrs for use on aluminum prep for welding. I mean shape, shaft diameter, and how coarse? I see a lot of cheap sets in 1/8" diameter shafts and wonder if a dremel is up to the task for most repairs or if 1/4" diameter and a drill motor is better? If one shape is ideal maybe I would focus on that as opposed to buy a set of 10 cheapos. Any links?
Thanks,
electrode
Don't cheap out on cutters they don't last.. shape depends on what your doing. I use a cylindrical shape a lot along with a ball end to groove out cracks and defects. I use a grinders wax or grease to help keep the flutes from packing....just watch your heat. I use a 1/4" shaft model, 1/3hp I believe.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
electrode

Rick_H wrote:Don't cheap out on cutters they don't last.. shape depends on what your doing. I use a cylindrical shape a lot along with a ball end to groove out cracks and defects. I use a grinders wax or grease to help keep the flutes from packing....just watch your heat. I use a 1/4" shaft model, 1/3hp I believe.
So the grinders wax or grease doesn't cause any welding problems? Does an acetone wipe and SS brush clean it up properly? Any brand wax or grease suitable?

And on the carbide burrs, can you use the less coarse ones like this:
carbideburr.jpg
carbideburr.jpg (10.33 KiB) Viewed 1779 times
Or better to use the really coarse ones like:
carbideburr2.jpg
carbideburr2.jpg (3.94 KiB) Viewed 1779 times
Thanks,
electrode

added: I found some 15oz tubes of Castrol Industrial Stick Wax Cutting Grinding Tapping Lubricant on ebay and bought them as they looked like a deal and have many uses. :D
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

electrode wrote:
Rick_H wrote:Don't cheap out on cutters they don't last.. shape depends on what your doing. I use a cylindrical shape a lot along with a ball end to groove out cracks and defects. I use a grinders wax or grease to help keep the flutes from packing....just watch your heat. I use a 1/4" shaft model, 1/3hp I believe.
So the grinders wax or grease doesn't cause any welding problems? Does an acetone wipe and SS brush clean it up properly? Any brand wax or grease suitable?

carbideburr.jpg
carbideburr2.jpg
Thanks,
electrode

added: I found some 15oz tubes of Castrol Industrial Stick Wax Cutting Grinding Tapping Lubricant on ebay and bought them as they looked like a deal and have many uses. :D

So long as you give the part a THOROUGH wipe-down, it shouldn't present a problem, unless you have a very porous casting. But then again, if it was easy, everybody would do it.

Thanks for the tip on the wax tubes. Look handy to have.
BigD
    Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:56 pm

Where is a good place to buy quality burrs for a good price?

BigD wrote:Where is a good place to buy quality burrs for a good price?
I bought some from Roark Supply. I don't remember them being very expensive either.
electrode

Oscar wrote: So long as you give the part a THOROUGH wipe-down, it shouldn't present a problem, unless you have a very porous casting. But then again, if it was easy, everybody would do it.

Thanks for the info and also the source for some US made carbide burrs. :D I see they sell "Aluma" burrs made more specifically for aluminum which is pic #2 in my original post. I am going to get those for sure but I think the others will work too with the grinders wax right?

electrode wrote:
Oscar wrote: So long as you give the part a THOROUGH wipe-down, it shouldn't present a problem, unless you have a very porous casting. But then again, if it was easy, everybody would do it.

Thanks for the info and also the source for some US made carbide burrs. :D I see they sell "Aluma" burrs made more specifically for aluminum which is pic #2 in my original post. I am going to get those for sure but I think the others will work too with the grinders wax right?
They might work, but it's not worth the headache, IMO.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

electrode wrote:

carbideburr.jpg
carbideburr2.jpg
Thanks,
electrode

We use the same wax at work, it does wonders with a flap wheel as well!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
CanMoulder
    Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:02 pm

https://www.mcmaster.com/#burs/=14wmv0b

The company i work for gets alot of stuff from Mcmaster=Carr
good price and Delivered to your door

Kevin
electrode

CanMoulder wrote:https://www.mcmaster.com/#burs/=14wmv0b

The company i work for gets alot of stuff from Mcmaster=Carr
good price and Delivered to your door

Kevin
Yes, I have bought stuff from there and it looks like they have a good selection of burrs and even have the aluminum type. But I think Roark Supply beats them on prices especially if you spend over $98 and get free shipping. I talked to the guy on the phone at Roark and they are going to be adding more made In USA stuff too. He also said they give samples but I need to clear up what the max price and of what they would be willing to give away. :twisted: They sell CGW (German made) flap discs too.
electrode
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Best ones I ever got came from friend that acquired them from McDonald Douglas aircraft. I wish I knew who made them so I could get more. They have lasted for years considering he retired and passed on yet I'm still using them. Sure I will never be able to find the quality of these in these times. Since the times have changed when they came home in his lunch box 30 or so years ago :cry:

If anyone worked or does work for Boeing now and knows what brand they use I would love to find out.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
electrode

Don't know anybody that worked at Boeing but would imagine if you couldn't bring them home in your lunchbox, they would be pricey. :D

I just order a Milwaukee 5192 4.5 amp electric die grinder. Best price I found was ebay for $179 from a seller named ToolUp. But if you go to their webpage they sell the same one for $210 from the link on Milwaukee's site on where to buy. I called and it is the same brand new unit with Full 5 Year Warranty and includes everything that is advertised on Milwaukee's site. If you click on all the places to "buy now" from Milwaukee's site the prices are all over the place. :lol:

added: Actually there is one seller with a new one for $169 but he only has one and I was unsure if the factory warranty would come with it so I went with the ToolUp as they are a tool store.
wfolarry
    Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:57 am

The best carbides are from Buckeye Carbide. http://www.buckeyecarbide.com/
Any shape, any tooth count, any length. I've been using them for years doing cylinder heads & I never seen any others that would keep the edge for so long. Keep them lubed up so the aluminum doesn't stick & they will cut aluminum like butter. I use Mondello porting fluid but there are others that will work too. A lot of guys just use WD 40.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

wfolarry wrote:The best carbides are from Buckeye Carbide. http://www.buckeyecarbide.com/
Any shape, any tooth count, any length. I've been using them for years doing cylinder heads & I never seen any others that would keep the edge for so long. Keep them lubed up so the aluminum doesn't stick & they will cut aluminum like butter. I use Mondello porting fluid but there are others that will work too. A lot of guys just use WD 40.
I second that, excellent cutters!
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB