Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
clavius
    Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:32 pm

Good info and nice looking stuff. Thanks for taking the time to reply. much appreciated.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

weldit321@gmail.com wrote:I don't know if this applies since your application is not automotive, but I almost always use 4043 filler wire on my cast aluminum work. even when welding aluminum extrusions to cast (difficult) I havent seen any cracking or problems doing this with this filler wire.
I meant to ask the other day, did you want to cry when some one asked you to put nitrous outlets in a Shaun's manifold? That dude does killer work.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
weldit321@gmail.com
    Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:52 pm

GreinTime wrote:
weldit321@gmail.com wrote:I don't know if this applies since your application is not automotive, but I almost always use 4043 filler wire on my cast aluminum work. even when welding aluminum extrusions to cast (difficult) I havent seen any cracking or problems doing this with this filler wire.

I meant to ask the other day, did you want to cry when some one asked you to put nitrous outlets in a Shaun's manifold? That dude does killer work.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Yes sir, those intakes are fantastic looking intakes for sure. Welding anything into a $5k+ intake is a bit stressful :p especially knowing it will be sitting in some dude's garage with 60 car guys saying they "could have done it better with their ac225". I've been at it a while but still get that pause before I dive in and start going.
clavius
    Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:32 pm

So after much time has passed, I finally got back to this and thought I would post a follow up. I squared off the broken end of the handle and used a short length of 6061 1/8" wall rectangular tube and welded that to it. I made the new handle part from a 6061 solid square machined to fit inside the rectangular piece and welded them together. The part was removed from the hoist during all of this work to avoid any welding current passing through critical parts, etc.

Though my welds had my awesome signature "blob of melted dimes" look to them, I opted to sort of blend them with a file and a flap disk to what you see here. I held the end of the handle in my vice and hung my (ahem....) near 200 pounds off of the other end, so an reasonably confident in the integrity of things.

So not quite a showpiece, not threatening any of you guys jobs, but strong and functional. This will mark the first actual useful thing I have done with my new TIG welder, so that was somewhat satisfying.

Appreciate all of the input.