Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
hypforlife32
    Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:11 pm

i hope this is the right place for this. I have a viking 3350 that i just got and i know this is probably a dumb question but there is a thin green film on the inside of the lense. Is this supposed to come off or stay on? I have been welding with it on for a couple weeks....lmao.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

New plastic protectors come with a clear plastic on one side and a green on the other. They both come off. There just there to keep the lenses from getting scratched before you use them.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

hypforlife32 wrote:i hope this is the right place for this. I have a viking 3350 that i just got and i know this is probably a dumb question but there is a thin green film on the inside of the lense. Is this supposed to come off or stay on? I have been welding with it on for a couple weeks....lmao.
Your not the first or last to ever do that. :lol: Now you have to forget to turn your gas on when you go to weld or forget to hook up your ground and get zapped by the HF...that's always a hoot....we have all had those days.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Haha, that's awesome :lol:

Millers protective plastic is covered with "Miller" so you can't weld with them on but I am sure i would have done the same as I am very careful with my hood. Well, not that careful but you know what I mean.

Yup, like nailpounder said, its just one of those things that happens to all of us, like forgetting to turn the gas on or off or not hooking up the ground wondering why nothings happening. Part of the experience :lol:

How's that helmet working out? I heard its supposed to be a not green lens in that thing, is it true?
if there's a welder, there's a way
hypforlife32

Olivero wrote:Haha, that's awesome :lol:

Millers protective plastic is covered with "Miller" so you can't weld with them on but I am sure i would have done the same as I am very careful with my hood. Well, not that careful but you know what I mean.

Yup, like nailpounder said, its just one of those things that happens to all of us, like forgetting to turn the gas on or off or not hooking up the ground wondering why nothings happening. Part of the experience :lol:

How's that helmet working out? I heard its supposed to be a not green lens in that thing, is it true?

Ill let you know when i try now without both films on both sides of the lense....hah :lol:

I will be using it later this evening. I have done the grounding clamp too, but usually i know cause it makes a short sound. im going to peel both of the protectors off real quick and report back

hypforlife32 wrote: Ill let you know when i try now without both films on both sides of the lense....hah :lol:

I will be using it later this evening. I have done the grounding clamp too, but usually i know cause it makes a short sound. im going to peel both of the protectors off real quick and report back
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gotta love them stickers.
hypforlife32

Olivero wrote:
hypforlife32 wrote: Ill let you know when i try now without both films on both sides of the lense....hah :lol:

IS there one on the inside too? I couldnt find it. only found one

hypforlife32 wrote:
Olivero wrote:

IS there one on the inside too? I couldnt find it. only found one
I doubt it, when they are brand new they come out of the box with both sides coevered but I don't think they are put in the helmet like that, probably just one side. You could always dismantle the helmet and find out. That's always fun.
hypforlife32

Thats what i had to do because i had to send the lense back cause it took a crap in two weeks of using it! I was mad, i only use it on the side but for small inside work. took a little over two weeks for the warranty claim and the whole new disply
hypforlife32

The helmet is even better then before! amazing how much better it i when you remove the film :lol:

hypforlife32 wrote:

The helmet is even better then before! amazing how much better it i when you remove the film :lol:
Lol :lol:

IS the lens still green or is it showing you real colours? How is the view?
hypforlife32

Olivero wrote:
hypforlife32 wrote:

Lol :lol:

IS the lens still green or is it showing you real colours? How is the view?
Lense is clear, not green anymore. Its showing real colors. not the same as my cheapy jackson. view is great. I really like how the viking lights up the entire work piece vs just the weld area. Not critical but nice. Great view of weld puddle. i weld a bunch of different things from 30amps to 170 usually. So the shade setting is huge for me. trying to weld 30amps with a 10-11 shade sucks. lol

hypforlife32 wrote:
Lense is clear, not green anymore. Its showing real colors. not the same as my cheapy jackson. view is great. I really like how the viking lights up the entire work piece vs just the weld area. Not critical but nice. Great view of weld puddle. i weld a bunch of different things from 30amps to 170 usually. So the shade setting is huge for me. trying to weld 30amps with a 10-11 shade sucks. lol
That's awesome. I might consider getting one then.
hypforlife32

Olivero wrote:
hypforlife32 wrote:
That's awesome. I might consider getting one then.
Def worth it!
    Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:52 am

I have the previous version of the 3350 with the 1/1/1/1 clarity and have been coveting the 4c since it came out. Even my version is such a jump in weld visibility over my old speedglass it isn't even funny. Can't wait to get the new version.
-Jon

I learned how to weld at night, but not last night. (despite how my weld looks)

Lincoln Viking 3350 K3034-2&3
Dynasty 210DX w/cps and coolmate3
Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram
hypforlife32

maker of things wrote:I have the previous version of the 3350 with the 1/1/1/1 clarity and have been coveting the 4c since it came out. Even my version is such a jump in weld visibility over my old speedglass it isn't even funny. Can't wait to get the new version.

I never knew it was that drastic of a change, i weld prob 3 times as fast now. lol. The helmet has prob payed for itself already in weld time alone.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

I just unwrapped mine today, will post conclusions vs a SavePhace M03 tomorrow

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
GreinTime

Initial conclusions after the few beads I ran on an exhaust: I actually have no idea what my hands are doing as I can now see what is and isn't happening lol. I'll be headed into work for 11, so will post a more thorough report once I get a full shift of work in.

The clarity is awesome though, as is the massive viewing field.

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-

GreinTime wrote:I just unwrapped mine today, will post conclusions vs a SavePhace M03 tomorrow

Please do, I am curious about those 2.
GreinTime

Sorry about the delay in the review, I'm awful at following up when I say things like that!

After welding with it all week, I can honestly say that the clarity is amazing. The head gear is one of my new favorites, so its comfortable to wear all day.

One kid said "Man, that's as clear as my 9200xxi SpeedGlas for half the money (you'd have to have much better eyes than I to tell the difference between one and the other)"

All in all, big fan so far, and with the adjustable grind mode, it will darken from shade 5-13, I've gone as low as 8 (didn't need any lower than that) but typically weld at 11 or so from 50-350a on AC/DC. I think I do need to go darker for the high amp aluminum, but I attribute my eyes hurting to lack of sleep that day more than anything!

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Unworker
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:54 pm

I had mine 3350 4C for five months. Field of view is huge, but the most important thing to me was the color trueness in active mode. Much better than regular 3M 9100 I had before. Lincoln's head gear looks comfortable, but I could't find the right position for prolonged welding without constant readjusting of the helmet. It probably have something to do with weight of the helmet and weight distribution. That's the one thing I didn't have any problem with 3M. But optically, Lincoln was way ahead.

It worked great while it worked. It just stopped working last month. Tried changing the battery, but that wasn't the issue. It was under warranty, so I sent the faulty lens to Lincoln. Still waiting for any info.

In the meantime I bought Optrel's 2.5 Vegaview. Field of view is much smaller, but I don't mind. It's color in inactive state is a big plus, it's very light. I don't have to lift the helmet to reposition or whatever. While active, it has golden greenish color, so colors are not true like with Lincoln. Clarity is perfect.

But the thing that struck me the most is that Optrel is very comfortable. I put it on and forget about it. No additional adjusting whatsoever. Compared to Lincoln, Optrel's rudimentary headgear doesn't seem comfortable at all, but somehow it is. Optrel is considerably lighter helmet than 3350, so that helps too. And I don't know how important that is for someone, but If you wear a cap under the helmet, Optrel's headgear works better with caps.
    Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:52 am

I had to adjust my Lincoln headgear more than any other hood I have had to get it comfortable, but it has one more strap than any of the other head gears too. Once adjusted, I find it very comfortable. Headgear comfort is a tricky thing to rate in words to another person on the internet. It's one of those things you have to experience yourself to know how comfortable you find it.
-Jon

I learned how to weld at night, but not last night. (despite how my weld looks)

Lincoln Viking 3350 K3034-2&3
Dynasty 210DX w/cps and coolmate3
Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram