It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:47 pm Advanced search

Tig noob and Syncrowave 250 resto project

Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

Re: Tig noob and Syncrowave 250 resto project

Postby Arno » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:12 am

Ah! Didn't notice the bolts were nylon too. My bad!

Having said that.. Under high voltage (like the HF operates at) many insulators do start to deteriorate and actually can start surface layer conducting at some point helped along by contamination and material degradation. I suspect you're also seeing an aging problem of the insulating material itself.

Some reading material.. http://www.industrial-electronics.com/epemt_1f.html

The base insulating mounting block does seem fairly simple in shape, so it may be feasible to at some time to completely replace it (and the mounting screws with a new block of material. Dig up a machinist-friend to replicate the original shape if you want :mrgreen:

Keep up the good work! I like to see older machines brought back with a little TLC and perhaps some small improvements/upgrades with the technology and meterials we now have available.

Bye, Arno.
Arno
Ace

Postby MFleet » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:58 pm

I suspect that you are right and I've figured out what the red insulator is. The description below reads that it will convert to fecal matter in the humid coastal regions. I have a piece of teflon on the way.

"GPO-3 offers superior arc and track resistance. NEMA grade GPO-2 (red color) and GPO-3 (red color) Glass-Mat Reinforced Polyester - These grades are composed of random mat (non-woven) fiberglass reinforcement held together by a polyester resin binder. (Polyesters are versatile resins which handle much like epoxies. Of course, the basic resins are chemically different. It's their physical application forms which make them similar. Despite lower costs, the important disadvantages of polyesters, as compared with epoxies, is lower adhesion to most substrates, higher polymerization shrinkage, a greater tendency to crack during cure or in thermal shock and greater change of electrical properties in a humid environment). GPO-3 offers both arc and track resistance. (GPO-2 certifies to Mil-I-24768/5 GPO2 and GPO-3 certifies to Mil-I-24768/6 GPO3). "
Miller 350P w/Python
Miller Syncrowave 250DX - Beaterwave project
Hypertherm Powermax65
Hobby class lathe and milling machine
MFleet
Workhorse

Postby MFleet » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:37 am

The machine has been working VERY well with the temporary fix in place. I finally machined the new insulator and spec'd it a little thicker. The ptfe has tested good so far and this should be the end all of the HF problems. Thanks for the suggestion, Arno!

IMG_20171013_015340851[1].jpg
IMG_20171013_015340851[1].jpg (59.42 KiB) Viewed 134 times
Miller 350P w/Python
Miller Syncrowave 250DX - Beaterwave project
Hypertherm Powermax65
Hobby class lathe and milling machine
MFleet
Workhorse

Postby Arno » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:02 am

Good to hear!

PTFE machines nice.. It tends to suck up a little to end mills and drills so thin stuff can be a little tricky to keep clamped down, but it's usually quite nice to work on. Cuts well.

It just looks like Santa Claus is in town when you're done and your machine is covered in what looks like a layer of fluffy snow :lol:

Bye, Arno.
Arno
Ace

Previous

Return to Tig Welding - Tig Welding Aluminum - Tig Welding Techniques - Aluminum Tig Welding