Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Ah! Didn't notice the bolts were nylon too. My bad!

Having said that.. Under high voltage (like the HF operates at) many insulators do start to deteriorate and actually can start surface layer conducting at some point helped along by contamination and material degradation. I suspect you're also seeing an aging problem of the insulating material itself.

Some reading material.. http://www.industrial-electronics.com/epemt_1f.html

The base insulating mounting block does seem fairly simple in shape, so it may be feasible to at some time to completely replace it (and the mounting screws with a new block of material. Dig up a machinist-friend to replicate the original shape if you want :mrgreen:

Keep up the good work! I like to see older machines brought back with a little TLC and perhaps some small improvements/upgrades with the technology and meterials we now have available.

Bye, Arno.
MFleet
    Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:26 am

I suspect that you are right and I've figured out what the red insulator is. The description below reads that it will convert to fecal matter in the humid coastal regions. I have a piece of teflon on the way.

"GPO-3 offers superior arc and track resistance. NEMA grade GPO-2 (red color) and GPO-3 (red color) Glass-Mat Reinforced Polyester - These grades are composed of random mat (non-woven) fiberglass reinforcement held together by a polyester resin binder. (Polyesters are versatile resins which handle much like epoxies. Of course, the basic resins are chemically different. It's their physical application forms which make them similar. Despite lower costs, the important disadvantages of polyesters, as compared with epoxies, is lower adhesion to most substrates, higher polymerization shrinkage, a greater tendency to crack during cure or in thermal shock and greater change of electrical properties in a humid environment). GPO-3 offers both arc and track resistance. (GPO-2 certifies to Mil-I-24768/5 GPO2 and GPO-3 certifies to Mil-I-24768/6 GPO3). "
Miller 350P w/Python
Miller Syncrowave 250DX - Beaterwave project
Hypertherm Powermax65
Hobby class lathe and milling machine
MFleet

The machine has been working VERY well with the temporary fix in place. I finally machined the new insulator and spec'd it a little thicker. The ptfe has tested good so far and this should be the end all of the HF problems. Thanks for the suggestion, Arno!
IMG_20171013_015340851[1].jpg
IMG_20171013_015340851[1].jpg (59.42 KiB) Viewed 3364 times
Miller 350P w/Python
Hypertherm Powermax65
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Good to hear!

PTFE machines nice.. It tends to suck up a little to end mills and drills so thin stuff can be a little tricky to keep clamped down, but it's usually quite nice to work on. Cuts well.

It just looks like Santa Claus is in town when you're done and your machine is covered in what looks like a layer of fluffy snow :lol:

Bye, Arno.
Iceax
    Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:43 am

Hi Nice repair of your tig cooler in the syncrowave
Where did you get your motor and pump I am crossing the help code as well !
Thanks
Charlie
MFleet

Iceax wrote:Hi Nice repair of your tig cooler in the syncrowave
Where did you get your motor and pump I am crossing the help code as well !
Thanks
Charlie
The pump and motor arrived as an assembly from ebay. I think it was removed from a microchip manufacturing machine. ~50psi seemed to be a safe range for torches.
Miller 350P w/Python
Hypertherm Powermax65
stevendaileystudio
    Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:16 pm

Hi,
New to the forum-

I found this googling information on the 06-07 Syncrowave with the integrated cooler. I picked one up for cheap and opened it up to examine the interior. Looks like the previous owner removed the part # 215776 Valve, 24Vdc 2Way Custom Port 1/8 Orf - i noticed because the two black lines from the mollex connector were cut near where the water in/out panel is on the bottom of the machine. I spent a while talking to Miller trying to determine what this part was that was missing, but only found it from your resto pictures.

Do you have any more process pictures of the area behind the water cooler in/out where the two black sensor wires connect to the valve (that n my machine is missing).

Any idea why this would have been removed? Thanks
MFleet

I'm guessing someone canned both water check valves and the gas valve after the attached gas panel broke. What the manual doesn't detail is the sensing coil molded in to the panel(part#215691). This has the two black leads that plug into the molex. Mine was broken and found a new one for $20. Don't overthink the sensing coil if you can't find a new panel. It is magnet wire on a bobbin, aka. air inductor, that surrounds the cold water fitting. You can likely forget about using check valves and plumb the torch in with standard water, forward/reverse threaded, hose barbs. This still leaves the need for the gas valve if it is missing. This is the blue cylinder with white wire.

Congrats on the find if everything else is working well. You should be able to download the technical manual for your serial number on the miller site.
gaswtrpanl.png
gaswtrpanl.png (310.58 KiB) Viewed 786 times
IMG_20200517_230150046.jpg
IMG_20200517_230150046.jpg (95.22 KiB) Viewed 786 times
IMG_20200517_230108319.jpg
IMG_20200517_230108319.jpg (64.74 KiB) Viewed 786 times
IMG_20200517_230208680.jpg
IMG_20200517_230208680.jpg (85.47 KiB) Viewed 786 times
Miller 350P w/Python
Hypertherm Powermax65