Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I took a rod and tapped it against my chest to move it in my fingers and had the hot end towards me... :mrgreen: Cauterized a nice hole in my chest.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

We were always taught to do it at school for safety reasons - as much as to know which end was hot as poking oneself in the eye ! this was for gas welding as my time at school predates Tig ! I have'nt bent filler rod ends in years but several times I dropped the filler off a bench went to pick it up & found 1'8" silicon bronze wire holds heat better than you expect - got several shiny lines on the fingers to prove it - so it's not a daft practice - on;y thing against is I also weld stubs together with bronze rods as the price here is crazy expensive - regular ER70 I never bother as it's cheap.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

motox wrote:I tack my rod stubs together and use 'em. Waste not, want not.

LIKE!
Is it worth the argon or the time?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Farmwelding wrote:
motox wrote:I tack my rod stubs together and use 'em. Waste not, want not.

LIKE!
Is it worth the argon or the time?
I suspect it isn't, but I used to do the same thing.

Started doing it when I began welding, just to prove I could. Nowadays, because the cheap runs deep in me, I tend to grab the stub in a needle nose locking pliers to feed it into the puddle down to the last tiny bit, then junk the micro-stub.

Kym

I've tacked the stub ends from time to time, not er70s, but expensive rod. never poked myself that I recall, however sometimes I'll lay the torch across my legs (while I'm sitting at the bench) and have fell short one time and the tip of the hot tungsten went into my leg... :o :lol:
Richard
Website
Farmwelding

Well at my high school some of the kids decide to hang the tig torch on the side of the weld stand that was exactly in the best place but nonetheless the welding helmets say right next to it so now there is plastic on the ceramic cup and a few valleys in the shell of the helmet. And kudos for grabbing the pair of pliers I guess. Never thought of doing that and might have to try it now.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I only tack aluminum or SS rod back together because the carpenter in me hates to waste material but I bought a bunch of rod from a retiring welder so I have tons of rod now and I will use the needle nose manuever too.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

I thought l invented the hooked filler rod. I did this when l needed my wife's help (needed a third hand with a brain) and couldn't stand the thought of hurting her in the process.
Farmwelding

exnailpounder wrote:I only tack aluminum or SS rod back together because the carpenter in me hates to waste material but I bought a bunch of rod from a retiring welder so I have tons of rod now and I will use the needle nose manuever too.
I swear you find the best and the most deals of anybody I know. Band saws on the street a bulk of filler. Wish I had your luck.
Nick
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

This little Vise Grips is now used exclusively as a holder for the stubs of rods as I use them down the the last little nub. It's really nimble and easy to use. Using these, I can add the filler to the pool all the way until it reaches the little flat '5356' stamping on the rod.

The Grips possibly wouldn't be much good for anything else by now anyhow...they've seen a lot of heat!

Kym
exnailpounder

Farmwelding wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:I only tack aluminum or SS rod back together because the carpenter in me hates to waste material but I bought a bunch of rod from a retiring welder so I have tons of rod now and I will use the needle nose manuever too.
I swear you find the best and the most deals of anybody I know. Band saws on the street a bulk of filler. Wish I had your luck.
It's funny you say that. Work has been really slow and I might have to go get a job but my wife keeps telling me to hang in there and 2017 is going to be my year and now all of a sudden I am finding all these great deals/pickin treasures so hopefully she's right. I can't see myself ever going to work for a bosshole ever again at my age and my serious lack of tolerance for bullshit but the days are looking brighter.
    Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:52 am

1) Safety but more often for me 2) if you lay the filler down on the table (or dropped on floor), you can give it a little roll and the hook end stands up and can now be grabbed, even with gloves.
-Jon

I learned how to weld at night, but not last night. (despite how my weld looks)

Lincoln Viking 3350 K3034-2&3
Dynasty 210DX w/cps and coolmate3
Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram
exnailpounder

maker of things wrote:1) Safety but more often for me 2) if you lay the filler down on the table (or dropped on floor), you can give it a little roll and the hook end stands up and can now be grabbed, even with gloves.
Does the 5 second rule apply to filler wire the same as it does for food? 8-)
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

I love trying to grab the filler rod with gloves hands without the hook on the end.

surprising how pissed off you can get from stuff like that... :lol:
if there's a welder, there's a way

And like vacuuming, how many times will you try before you finally just take your glove off like you could have the first time?
-Jon

Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram

maker of things wrote:And like vacuuming, how many times will you try before you finally just take your glove off like you could have the first time?
I will grab my pliers before I take my glove off. That would be admitting failure :lol:
exnailpounder

Olivero wrote:
maker of things wrote:And like vacuuming, how many times will you try before you finally just take your glove off like you could have the first time?
I will grab my pliers before I take my glove off. That would be admitting failure :lol:
But we still try to pick it up with our gloves on for a little while like dumbasses :lol:

exnailpounder wrote:
Olivero wrote:
But we still try to pick it up with our gloves on for a little while like dumbasses :lol:
Always :lol:
exnailpounder

Us welders ain't too bright but we catch on eventually 8-)

exnailpounder wrote:Us welders ain't too bright but we catch on eventually 8-)
That is good to hear, can't wait till it happens to me... :lol:
-Jon

Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram
exnailpounder

maker of things wrote:
The light starts to come on after the first time you forget to put the ground on your work and the High Frequency zaps your ass to remind you. That will wise you up quick but the glove thing takes longer to figure out :lol:

exnailpounder wrote:
maker of things wrote:
The light starts to come on after the first time you forget to put the ground on your work and the High Frequency zaps your ass to remind you. That will wise you up quick but the glove thing takes longer to figure out :lol:
Not nearly as long as remembering to turn on and off the gas :lol:
exnailpounder

I make it a habit when I walk by my welders to twist the knob and make sure the bottles are off and I'll be damned if I checked my Mig the other day and it was left on. I used it for 5 friggin minutes and forgot to shut it off. Maybe I should cut back to only a fifth of vodka a day or only a case of beer instead of 2...or not 8-)
Farmwelding

exnailpounder wrote:I make it a habit when I walk by my welders to twist the knob and make sure the bottles are off and I'll be damned if I checked my Mig the other day and it was left on. I used it for 5 friggin minutes and forgot to shut it off. Maybe I should cut back to only a fifth of vodka a day or only a case of beer instead of 2...or not 8-)
No expert on health or medicine but it may help you remember to turn off the gas. And will save you money on gas.
Nick
JFF45
    Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:13 pm

Until I finally bought my own gas bottles, I was getting gas from a company here called Air Liquide and their bottles just had a red lever to open/close which I thought was a really good idea because you could see at a glance if the bottle was open or closed.
The last argon refill I got has such a hard tap I need two hands to open/close it..
John