Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Welding over brake cleaner will kill you with phosgene gas....1...2...3... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

PRICK :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:How much doe's anyone wanna bet somebody is gonna come along and say that welding over brake cleaner will kill you with phosgene gas....1...2...3...
Wouldn't surprise me.
Since chloroflourocarbon propellants and the hazardous halogen solvents were banned, this issue went away. Like in the 1980's.

Steve S
Actually, you could buy chlorinated brake clean up until a few years ago.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
GreinTime

Matter of fact, it was a red can/green can type of deal from CRC.

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

With the constant bombardment of cheap imports from asia, it is important that one remains vigilant and doesn't simply say that's impossible. We have products imported into Australia that have asbestos in them, Despite our rigid ban on asbestos products. Their excuse.....OHHHH You mean THAT asbestos. (There's a heap of different varieties. )
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Well it's not good for you playing with nasty chemicals but I'm living proof it takes more of them to kill you than the " experts " think ! when I was a kid I cut thousands of asbestos 2nd hand roof sheets with abrasive saws dry - could'nt see for clouds of it - if they had masks back then we never got any ! as an apprentice I got to blow out all the trailer brakes of dust on trailers built from around the 50's - in my 20's we repaired steam boilers which meant I got to hack off all the lagging which was asbestos & remember having many " snowball " fights when mixing up the plaster / asbestos / horse hair to re-lag them - then when we started getting turbo / supercharged engines on plant when they had done a lot of hours they would smoke & have little power because re-breathed crankcase fumes were fed into the air intake carrying all sorts of oily residue which stuck to the intake pipes & charge cooler cores ckoking them - I discovered the quick fix was to fill spray gun with tricloroethane or similar - rev the thing flat out & spray a bit at a time into the intake - not too much as it stops it from oxygen displacement - initially you get really black clouds out of the exhaust but once cleaned it comes out as a white fog & I knew one sniff took your breath away & gave you a bad head & cough for a day or two but at the time never realized what it was! engines went brilliant though! I could go on with the list of farm chemicals that I've misused & my time making unstable stuff for removing tree stumps etc - I'm mid 50's now - how long do you reckon I got left ? think I've done remarkably well - only missing a couple of finger ends & a slightly squashed right knee as obvious signs of mishaps - most guys I worked with are already in a box !
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

noddybrian wrote:Well it's not good for you playing with nasty chemicals but I'm living proof it takes more of them to kill you than the " experts " think ! when I was a kid I cut thousands of asbestos 2nd hand roof sheets with abrasive saws dry - could'nt see for clouds of it - if they had masks back then we never got any ! as an apprentice I got to blow out all the trailer brakes of dust on trailers built from around the 50's - in my 20's we repaired steam boilers which meant I got to hack off all the lagging which was asbestos & remember having many " snowball " fights when mixing up the plaster / asbestos / horse hair to re-lag them - then when we started getting turbo / supercharged engines on plant when they had done a lot of hours they would smoke & have little power because re-breathed crankcase fumes were fed into the air intake carrying all sorts of oily residue which stuck to the intake pipes & charge cooler cores ckoking them - I discovered the quick fix was to fill spray gun with tricloroethane or similar - rev the thing flat out & spray a bit at a time into the intake - not too much as it stops it from oxygen displacement - initially you get really black clouds out of the exhaust but once cleaned it comes out as a white fog & I knew one sniff took your breath away & gave you a bad head & cough for a day or two but at the time never realized what it was! engines went brilliant though! I could go on with the list of farm chemicals that I've misused & my time making unstable stuff for removing tree stumps etc - I'm mid 50's now - how long do you reckon I got left ? think I've done remarkably well - only missing a couple of finger ends & a slightly squashed right knee as obvious signs of mishaps - most guys I worked with are already in a box !
You sound like me...I can't believe sometimes I'm still here with all the crap I have breathed and got soaked in and cut without a mask etc...My dad passed away 6 years ago from complications of asbestosis at 83 years old. He could hardly breath but he worked til he was 80. Todays girly man runs to the HR department if somebody blows a fart in the elevator.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:08 am

Hey that cloudy film is usually the case of not enough torch angle/ poor gas shielding. It usually happens when trying to weld around pipe.

If you look to the right you'll see the cloudiness on the hand rail. That's from not enough torch angle.
Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
GreinTime

Otto Nobedder wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:How much doe's anyone wanna bet somebody is gonna come along and say that welding over brake cleaner will kill you with phosgene gas....1...2...3...
Wouldn't surprise me.
Since chloroflourocarbon propellants and the hazardous halogen solvents were banned, this issue went away. Like in the 1980's.

Steve S
CRC red can still has tetrocholoroethelyne as the active ingredient, and lists phosgene as a possible side effect of welding over it! I forgot to snap a pic of the warning label for ya!

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

From what I've read here, lots of guys don't care or a mad at the Govt' for babying them too much....
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Yes - it should still be our constitutional right to be able to kill ourselves anyway we see fit ! I hate the nanny state & safety nazis - I just get the job done how I think it should be !
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:From what I've read here, lots of guys don't care or a mad at the Govt' for babying them too much....
Well when you grow up doing something one way on the farm or the garage and it has not caused you a problem we stop caring as much. It is proven those grown up on a farm are healthier because they have been introduced to more disease. Arsenic has been in our drinking water and at my grandparents they had it tested so they got a filter a year ago and I tell you I would almost take the arsenic because it tasted better and it never affected my mom, uncles, grandparents, or the cattle that drank thousands of gallons. Now this doesnt mean go out and not care because I was wire brushing some old steel with an angle grinder and there was enough rust, and I was not wearing a respirator. I couldnt do anything for 2 days because I could hardly breath and was constantly coughing. But they say not to get diesel on you and stuff like that, but if Im in the middle of a field by myself and my house is five or more miles away and the sediment bowl gets clogged because Im an idiot well, what do you do. Go out and clean it with your bare hands and hope nobody lights a cigarette in the cab because the fumes were that potent. If you havent done it why are you telling me what to do. )Kind of like weld inspectors who cant weld ;) )
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick