Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

electrode wrote:I am not Oscar (of course not), but it looks like he was using a spreadsheet. Look here and click on Resource Tab and then on the MSDS sheet PDF and I think that is a good source for the info and maybe where Oscar got it from. The tig version is called "3SMW" it looks like. :)

http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/en/P ... /3SMW.aspx

edit: I guess that isn't where he got the info because that MSDS sheet doesn't confirm the following:
Titanium
Tantalum
Niobium

Oscar, where did you get that info and do you have a copy of the whole spreadsheet?? ;)
That's strange, the doc I found says it's a trade secret, your MSDS gives the values Oscar has and when I went back and looked at the MSDS for 3SMW it lists nickel as 7-13% See HERE and open the MSDS

Electrode, the MSDS sheet you found shows values for many SST wires, I went to the sheet they provide for just the 3SMW in the link I provided above.
Richard
Website
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

LtBadd wrote:
electrode wrote:I am not Oscar (of course not), but it looks like he was using a spreadsheet. Look here and click on Resource Tab and then on the MSDS sheet PDF and I think that is a good source for the info and maybe where Oscar got it from. The tig version is called "3SMW" it looks like. :)

edit: I guess that isn't where he got the info because that MSDS sheet doesn't confirm the following:
Titanium
Tantalum
Niobium

Oscar, where did you get that info and do you have a copy of the whole spreadsheet?? ;)
That's strange, the doc I found says it's a trade secret, your MSDS gives the values Oscar has and when I went back and looked at the MSDS for 3SMW it lists nickel as 7-13% See HERE and open the MSDS

Electrode, the MSDS sheet you found shows values for many SST wires, I went to the sheet they provide for just the 3SMW in the link I provided above.
Your link takes me to where my link takes you. :lol:
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

electrode wrote:
LtBadd wrote:

Titanium
Tantalum
Niobium

Your link takes me to where my link takes you. :lol:
You guys are one with the Universe :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

electrode wrote: Your link takes me to where my link takes you. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Too many open pages, try this one under the SDS index go to Welding > maintaince and Repair > SMW
Last edited by LtBadd on Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
Website
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Here you go:

Harris Chart, Part I, Section 2, 2nd Line

I don't see where it says 7-13%?
Last edited by Oscar on Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That is for their stick electrode, the TIG rod is different, or so it seems
Richard
Website
electrode

Yeah, that one is goofy. I you look at the first two entries:

Iron 40 - 70%
Chromium (as Cr) 30 - 60%

That means if they have 70% Iron and 60% Chromium they have 130% and that is too much. :D :mrgreen:
electrode

And the Niobium, titanium, and tantalum etc have "NE" for not established and your chart has some figures in there... ;)
exnailpounder

We really need to get lives don't we? :lol:
electrode

exnailpounder wrote:We really need to get lives don't we? :lol:
Well, I need to go outside and burn the brush pile that is 15 foot tall so I will check back later. :o
exnailpounder

electrode wrote:
Well, I need to go outside and burn the brush pile that is 15 foot tall so I will check back later. :o
Don't use gasoline! You don''t wanna know how I know that :lol:
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

Pfffft... I dunno about you guys but I have a life, I'm gonna go build a fort out of my welders.. them I'm gonna label some more stuff.. then I'm gonna organize all my rods in chronological order.

Hopefully get it all done before my wife wakes up and makes me do real work....

.... and even a rookie knows you don't use gasoline on a brush pile. Wheres the fun in that. Time to break out the thermic lance kit you got on ebay cheap that time and light er up.
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde

exnailpounder wrote:Don't use gasoline! You don''t wanna know how I know that :lol:
let's see the pics!
Richard
Website
exnailpounder

LtBadd wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:Don't use gasoline! You don''t wanna know how I know that :lol:
let's see the pics!
I never did get pics but I soaked a brush pile in gas on a perfectly still day...figured I'd let it soak for a little while, came back..poured a trail of gas, lit the match and the whole pile exploded because of the vapor...I had long hair until that day :lol: I have used diesel fuel ever since that day. My kids got to see it :lol: There was alcohol involved 8-)

LtBadd wrote:

Not sure where you're getting that. 3-SMW is the TIG filler rod.

electrode wrote:And the Niobium, titanium, and tantalum etc have "NE" for not established and your chart has some figures in there... ;)
I got the values for my chart from the MSDS that also lists other wire in the SS categories. Look closely. ;)

Oscar wrote: I got the values for my chart from the MSDS that also lists other wire in the SS categories. Look closely. ;)
I did see where your values came from, thanks

It seems that there are conflicting data sheets, the link I posted on page 2 (4th post down*) will show where I found this information.

*sure wish the posts were numbered :(
Richard
Website
electrode

Oscar wrote:
LtBadd wrote:

Not sure where you're getting that. 3-SMW is the TIG filler rod.

electrode wrote:And the Niobium, titanium, and tantalum etc have "NE" for not established and your chart has some figures in there... ;)
I got the values for my chart from the MSDS that also lists other wire in the SS categories. Look closely. ;)
I found it and figured it out. :ugeek: Of course Niobium which is currently "NB" was formerly "CB" and that threw me even after I found the section "c" note. See here:

Niobium - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niobium
Niobium, formerly columbium, is a chemical element with symbol Nb (formerly Cb) and atomic ... Niobium has physical and chemical properties similar to those of the element tantalum, and the two are difficult to distinguish. The English chemist ...
8-) :D
electrode

exnailpounder wrote:
electrode wrote:
Don't use gasoline! You don''t wanna know how I know that :lol:
I used to use gasoline and that big "WOOF" noise caught me off guard a few times but never hurt me. Today/tonight I used 1 match and some newspaper and got it going. Then I had to drag the 20 piles of brush that were in line to be burnt that I couldn't throw up onto the already too tall pile. Got Er Done! ;)

Ok, so were good that Super Missile Weld is not ER312, right? Lol
electrode

Oscar wrote:Ok, so were good that Super Missile Weld is not ER312, right? Lol
Yes, and I am glad in way as I have 5 pounds of it and also some stick electrodes and don't feel like I got ripped off. :lol: I know the stuff works and I like the way works too. I only use mine on special occasions. 8-)

electrode wrote:
Oscar wrote:Ok, so were good that Super Missile Weld is not ER312, right? Lol
Yes, and I am glad in way as I have 5 pounds of it and also some stick electrodes and don't feel like I got ripped off. :lol: I know the stuff works and I like the way works too. I only use mine on special occasions. 8-)
Same here. I picked up 1/16" and 3/32" a couple years ago, just for the hell of it. :lol: Would be cool if they made it in 0.045" or 0.035" for super extra special occasions. :)
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I might get some just because it has missle in the name. :D
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Poland308 wrote:I might get some just because it has missle in the name. :D
You should see the new "Mega-Critical Nuclear Warhead Weld" rod that is in the works! :lol:
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Post the spec sheet when it comes out. I will want that rod even more.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
exnailpounder

Oscar wrote:
Poland308 wrote:I might get some just because it has missle in the name. :D
You should see the new "Mega-Critical Nuclear Warhead Weld" rod that is in the works! :lol:
:lol: