Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

I know the common tig torch numbers but can anyone tell me what this is or is it completely proprietary?

I don't recognize this set up, the back cap is moulded in and hardware on the front I haven't seen before. I have a water cooled torch and spare air cooled both with lenses and spares but I'd have to make some kind of button setup or fork out for a pedal if I don't use the genuine torch.

Edit: the one with the red buttons would be the original 4 meter one that came with the machine. The one I'm asking about is the one with the moulded on end cap, its EWM like the other one and the machine, only difference is its 8 meter not 4, hence why it would be handy to keep.

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

How are you coping with the tig torch that connects into the mig euro connector? (If this is for your pulse mig) I was red hot to use these machines for mig and tig with the same set up till i found that out.

I just had to go look that up. Hadn't noticed the tig/mma function. Its only lift tig though so I imagine you need a switch and gas valve.

I just had a look and that foot long bit of cable you can unplug for polarity selection is internally connected to the mig torch. I checked with a meter. So you unplug it and the mig torch is dead, that leaves the - and + for tig or mma cable connections. I did notice there is a hole with a circle symbol on the bottom left of the machine. I looked it up as I couldn't figure out what that could be for and its a parking socket for aforementioned foot long bit of cable.

Did yours come with a tig torch?

My mig only came with the mig torch and no other accessories though. Those ones I posted came with a Tetrix 230 AC/DC I got today. By the way, anyone want to buy a Tetrix 300DC or a Tokentools 210 digital ;)

EDIT: I think I misunderstood. Do you mean it came with a tig torch that plugs in where the mig torch does? If so what a pain in the arse.
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde

The reason I comment is that we have the machines set up in a bay where we do pulse mig and then fix small defects with a tig, blending in of lack of fusion, filling of craters and under cut. This usually requires us to get a separate tig and plug it in.

I noticed that theses super complex EWM machines have lift tig. This, on the face of it, would be great for a bit of repair work on steel. But if you watch this video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75-Wanpv1WA (No volume required, unless you are from the fatherland.)

You'll find that the TIG torch gets its power and gas through a mig style connector.

This may well suit any normal person wanting to do a bit of both, but we plan on a quite high volume of production,. so taking off the mig torch when ever you need to do a repair, is out of the question.

I hope that is suits you, and you can get the benefits of the system .

Mick.

Ahhh I've seen that guy. I think EWM sponsor his hair :D He has responded to Youtube comments in English on occasion. Could probably hit him up for some info.

I hadn't seen a tig torch like that before. However if you wan't simple lift arc without the fancy bits like up and down slope, pre and post gas control, 2T/4T etc you use the - and + just the same as if you were using a stinger. Using a tig in the mig port allows a tig torch with buttons and also lets the machine control the gas hence you get all the features above.

I have a little mma inverter that does lift tig as most of those power sources do. I went and bought a tig with gas valve and learnt on it, though it was pretty average especially having to whip out of the weld at the end. Depends on what you like. I'm not a fan of super basic lift tig unless there was absolutely nothing else to use. But you could set it up on that welder in your bay and just have a second bottle or a Y and a second flow meter. and then just unplug the polarity selection lead for the mig on the front and plug in the tig torch and away you go.

8 is the Mig port, 12 stays put as the workpiece clamp and 13 is now the power source for the tig torch.

Thanks, He is a fine specimen.

The up slope and other functions would have been the only way for my company to look at the lift tig function. They are super critical on arc strikes and stuff. Maybe they might look at it for one machine, but apart from that, they'll spend many more thousands on new tigs. (Hopefully they won't waste money on pulse tigs, which we don't have a procedure for, this time)
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Most likely Abicor Binzel. That is their logo on the cup, and they are an OEM label shop for most manufacturers.

I didn't recognize the hardware, especially the collet. And all my torches/spares are for CK 20 and 26.

I'll have a play around and see what I can get to fit what.

Mike,

Not sure if it matters but I think you could run the 2t/4t buttons off the front panel, number 11 on that list. Should give you all the options bar pre and post gas, then you just need a torch with a valve. I haven't checked mine but I think you may even be able to run a foot pedal off it, its the same 19 pin plug. Depends on how stringent they are process wise I guess

Those suggestions are fine for the real world. But we have a manager that has a very narrow window for opinion. If it rerquires out of the box thinking in anyway except his own, no dice. They have been tig welding at our facillity for around 50 years and do not have one foot pedal.I think the idea is that it would allow a welder to be under the WPS amps.

Mick

Ahhh yeah. I think you mentioned they had a lot of the settings locked out in another thread.

Arse covering in full compliance with Australian Standards :D

Suppose it depends on the field, automotive/military/medical etc. I guess they need some compliance to a standardized process or something.
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am