Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/en/P ... ckade.aspx

I've been using this for a while now to repair copper tubes in old steam coils. It wets out real nice and deals pretty well with the embedded mineral deposits left from steam or water. I use the tig welder to get precise heat control on the paper thin copper. It has a low melting point and excels at building up material over holes without dripping into the tube. I bought about a lb / the 20 stick tube for less than 25$. I also used it on some steel to copper joints where the coil headers are joined to steel pipe, and on an old brass impeller for a grinder pump. Used it to build up some worn spots and chips from junk getting stuck in the pump.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Used with TIG, interesting. So you use the rod just as filler, no flux needed even on steel and brass?
Richard
Website
Poland308

Correct! I brushed off as much as could with a wire brush and then go at it.

Josh
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

Being a plumber I use silver solder, usually 5% silver. Wets really nice and a bit more ductile and flows a bit better than 2%. Doesn't fill real well though unless you are really careful. Might be handy for filling when the idiot builder puts screw holes in my copper. Wonder if its exclusive to Harris or under other trade names.
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
Poland308

This stuff has a lower melting temp than any of the silver bearings braze rod. I use 15% and 45% a lot for refrigeration. I've never tried this stuff on refrigeration coils or pipe.

Josh