Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
welder689
    Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:55 pm

I use 2% thoriated tungsten for all of my DC TIG welding...mild steel, stainless, chrome-moly, etc...have been for almost thirty years.

I prefer pure tungsten for aluminum (nothing personal Jody). I like the way it balls up. I once was a welder in a custom machine shop (1993-1994) and they only bought 2% thoriated which we used on everything...My machine there was a Miller Synchrowave 250...I just didn't like using the 2% for aluminum on AC.

Maybe, it's just me though...I know some good welders that use 2% for everything.
brian
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

If your running reverse polarity "electrode positive" on accident, you'll be putting too much heat in the torch and break your cups. If thats it, change to DC -. Could be something that simple.
rickgct
    Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:12 am

i have a miller diversion 165.
sometimes when i lift my finger from the torch switch to stop welding, the arc doesn't stop
i have to pull the torch away from the work piece.
when this happens, the arc will start again when i get close to the piece without
pressing the switch.
this only lasts momentarily, but has caused me to burn through and ruin my work.
other times it works perfectly.
dealer says he has never seen this
any suggestions :?:
the button is not sticking down.