Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
quadrod
    Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:28 am

Awhile back Jody posted the video on the concept of a small tig box using BB's to act as ground and argon dispersion. Was there ever any follow up on the concept. Also would stainless steel shot work instead of BB's?
thespian
    Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:56 pm

Not really, because the idea is that copper coated bbs wouldn't stick to your weld. I thought that copper shavings from a lathe would work pretty well.
Thespian is just an old username I have used forever , my name is Bill

Were the BB's actually in contact with the part? I saw the video but don't recall, but I do know the BB's were to act as a diffuser for the argon
Richard
Website
quadrod

Ok so copper is less likely to stick to the weld. I am thinking of building the box and looking for the media to put in the box.
quadrod

Can get 5lb of copper shot on the bay for $40.00

Are you building this for a specific part?
Richard
Website
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

quadrod,

Jody, Roy and myself worked on this project and Jody did two videos on it. Not sure if you have seen both of them.

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeTWENRkBdo

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uoxKZtqXrA

I will tell you, it works very well for what it is intended for. If you have any questions on the boxes I will try to answer what I can. Roy and I both have a second box we made but they have never been shared. This box concept is actually used, minus the bb's, in the aerospace world and it is pretty cool.
-Jonathan
Tom Osselton
    Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:33 am

quadrod wrote:Can get 5lb of copper shot on the bay for $40.00
Just gather all your pennies to fill the box. :D
quadrod

Thanks for the reply's. I don't have a specific project yet for the tig box. Heck the box is a project in and of its self. I got one of the ti practice kits to play with and will use the tig box for that first. I can't fill the box with pennies, I need all my pennies to get the materials for the box. I could use a suggestion on how big and how deep to make the box. I have seen the videos of Jody making the box, thanks for the links I will watch them again.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I would like to see your version of the box when you make it. Always looking for new ideas.
Jonathan