Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

I have never tigged. I just ordered an AlphaTIG. The price drop was too much for me to resist.

I put Tillman TIG gloves and a TIG finger in my Amazon cart. I have a big bottle of argon. What else should I buy to get started? I have the stuff for MIG. I was thinking I would try to learn TIG using scrap steel.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Chips O'Toole wrote:I have never tigged. I just ordered an AlphaTIG. The price drop was too much for me to resist.

I put Tillman TIG gloves and a TIG finger in my Amazon cart. I have a big bottle of argon. What else should I buy to get started? I have the stuff for MIG. I was thinking I would try to learn TIG using scrap steel.
Congratulations. Did you get the 2016 or 2017 Alphatig 200X?
Some filler rod might help. :D If you are welding steel get some ER70S-2 or ER70S-6. For aluminum go with the usual 4043 and 5356 and get some of the more exotic stuff as you see fit. For stainless maybe some 308L for starters. Some spare tungsten electrodes will be needed as they are consumables and consume them you will. :o Some alumina cups and maybe a gas lens and spare collets for the torch.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Tungsten, filler rod (like electrode recommended), some spare scrap (aluminum, steel, stainless), maybe acetone, wire brush(stainless and steel). I would live with the torch for now or you could pick up the stubby lens kit and a different torch if you wanted. Also you may want to get some patience because that is the biggest thing and have your camera ready to ask the questions here about what you are doing wrong because lets be honest you aint gonna be perfect.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
electrode

And I guess you have some kind of a grinder to sharpen your tungsten?
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

electrode wrote:And I guess you have some kind of a grinder to sharpen your tungsten?
Cause your gonna grind some tungsten :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

As I learn (slowly) to TIG with my AlphaTIG 200x, I find that the one thing I seem to need the most I just can't find...non-dipping tungstens.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
electrode

ldbtx wrote:As I learn (slowly) to TIG with my AlphaTIG 200x, I find that the one thing I seem to need the most I just can't find...non-dipping tungstens.
You have to buy the "non-magnetic" ones. :P
Farmwelding

electrode wrote:
ldbtx wrote:As I learn (slowly) to TIG with my AlphaTIG 200x, I find that the one thing I seem to need the most I just can't find...non-dipping tungstens.
Is there one like this for aluminum since it isnt magnetic? If there is I need it.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
electrode

Farmwelding wrote:
electrode wrote:
Is there one like this for aluminum since it isnt magnetic? If there is I need it.
No, there isn't. Just move the torch back before you dab. Easier said than done sometimes. Some days are gonna be better than others, that's for sure. :D
Farmwelding

Electorde, yeah I know. It is a shame, although a thought just pooped in my head about a tig rest or like a dolly on the back side of the torch to keep an even arc length. Something like our fellow member Jonathan Lewis made for a mig gun except two wheeled for long tig runs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4akYXs92g8Y
Nick
exnailpounder

Or at least tungsten that won't hold molten metal.
Last edited by exnailpounder on Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Is there any reason I can't use a belt grinder to grind tungsten? I have a bench grinder, but these days I keep the belt grinder on the grinder cart because it's like 3000 times as good as a bench grinder.
Farmwelding

Chips O'Toole wrote:Is there any reason I can't use a belt grinder to grind tungsten? I have a bench grinder, but these days I keep the belt grinder on the grinder cart because it's like 3000 times as good as a bench grinder.
No should be fine if it sharpens metal it will be fine at least for practice. If you are doing nuclear work there might ba an issue but you are just running beads so there should be no problem.
Nick
exnailpounder

Chips O'Toole wrote:Is there any reason I can't use a belt grinder to grind tungsten? I have a bench grinder, but these days I keep the belt grinder on the grinder cart because it's like 3000 times as good as a bench grinder.
I use a belt grinder and I like it better than a wheel grinder. I chuck the tungsten up in a cordless drill and it's sharp in 10 seconds.
electrode

Farmwelding wrote:Electorde, yeah I know. It is a shame, although a thought just pooped in my head about a tig rest or like a dolly on the back side of the torch to keep an even arc length. Something like our fellow member Jonathan Lewis made for a mig gun except two wheeled for long tig runs.

I have started on a rest but always have 100 irons in the fire at a time so the pieces are waiting for me to weld them up after I finish making the rest. I will watch this video in a few minutes and check back but we are having a serious storm outside right now. I also posted a video from a guy in England on making a tig rest in another thread.

edit: watched the video. Good idea and simple enough. I like it. :D

edit #2: Here is a link to the long in the tooth video on making a tig steady rest. Skip through or make some popcorn before you watch it. It's entertaining in a way. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLumr3Hs5xg
Last edited by electrode on Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

exnailpounder wrote:I use a belt grinder and I like it better than a wheel grinder. I chuck the tungsten up in a cordless drill and it's sharp in 10 seconds.
I just put my belt grinder together last year. It's the most wonderful tool imaginable. It does all sorts of things. It grinds nonferrous metals safely. unlike a bench grinder. It eats material off of things in a hurry. It makes my horrendous welds look good. Everyone needs a belt grinder.
exnailpounder

electrode wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:Electorde, yeah I know. It is a shame, although a thought just pooped in my head about a tig rest or like a dolly on the back side of the torch to keep an even arc length. Something like our fellow member Jonathan Lewis made for a mig gun except two wheeled for long tig runs.

I have started on a rest but always have 100 irons in the fire at a time so the pieces are waiting for me to weld them up after I finish making the rest. I will watch this video in a few minutes and check back but we are having a serious storm outside right now. I also posted a video from a guy in England on making a tig rest in another thread.

It must be a big fire to have 100 irons in it :lol:
exnailpounder

Chips O'Toole wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:I use a belt grinder and I like it better than a wheel grinder. I chuck the tungsten up in a cordless drill and it's sharp in 10 seconds.
I just put my belt grinder together last year. It's the most wonderful tool imaginable. It does all sorts of things. It grinds nonferrous metals safely. unlike a bench grinder. It eats material off of things in a hurry. It makes my horrendous welds look good. Everyone needs a belt grinder.
If your belt grinder is adjustable, make sure you tilt it away from you a bit. If you come in at too steep of an angle with your tungsten, the belt might catch it and snap it off or bend it...don't ask how I know. Or I use the small side disc with finer grit that won't grab the tungsten.
electrode

exnailpounder wrote:
electrode wrote:

It must be a big fire to have 100 irons in it :lol:
You should have seen it. :P :D :lol:
electrode

Chips O'Toole wrote:
Did you get one of those high dollar ones that knife makers use? You say you put it together. Was it a kit? Pics?

electrode wrote: Did you get one of those high dollar ones that knife makers use? You say you put it together. Was it a kit? Pics?
I got a "mid-dollar" one! It's called an Oregon Blade Maker. I had to make a platform for it, add my own motor, make a drive pulley, connect a VFD, wire up the VFD, and put a steel VFD enclosure together. Now that I have it, I realize I could have made the grinder body myself, but the guy who sells these is very reasonable, so it's hard to find motivation.
Attachments
11 04 16 VFD panel mounted on grinder platform small.jpg
11 04 16 VFD panel mounted on grinder platform small.jpg (70.08 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
electrode

Chips O'Toole wrote:
electrode wrote: Did you get one of those high dollar ones that knife makers use? You say you put it together. Was it a kit? Pics?
I got a "mid-dollar" one! It's called an Oregon Blade Maker. I had to make a platform for it, add my own motor, make a drive pulley, connect a VFD, wire up the VFD, and put a steel VFD enclosure together. Now that I have it, I realize I could have made the grinder body myself, but the guy who sells these is very reasonable, so it's hard to find motivation.
Cool. I might need another project. ;) So how much in total do you have in it? What VFD did you get and how much? I usually watch that show Forged In Fire so I see those grinders all the time and I checked into them once and they were pricey. Maybe now I could talk myself into building one like a kit like you did. Looks great.

I have an insane amount of money in it. The thing is, I had a VFD I wasn't using, so that made it feel like I wasn't spending much. A good VFD will run $300 or so. I also had a motor which turned out to be unsuitable because it wasn't enclosed. The grinder is $500. I put about $130 into the new motor, including shipping. I also bought the little grinding platform that hangs off the platen.

I used a 3 HP motor because I was having a hard time finding a 2 HP job on Ebay, and I saw that 3 HP motors were easy to find and cost about the same. It has more power than I really need. It weighs more than twice what a 2 HP motor does.

I think this is better than putting $1500 into a used Burr King that does practically nothing.

I suppose you could make the grinder body, tool arm, and platen for less than $500, but it wouldn't be dirt cheap, especially if you had to buy the wheels instead of making them.

Chips O'Toole wrote:I have an insane amount of money in it. The thing is, I had a VFD I wasn't using, so that made it feel like I wasn't spending much. A good VFD will run $300 or so.
Ok, what's a VFD?
variable focal drive
vertical feed dampener
very fast damnit!
Richard
Website

LtBadd wrote: Ok, what's a VFD?
variable focal drive
vertical feed dampener
very fast damnit!
Sometimes I forget what kind of forum I'm on.

A VFD is a variable frequency drive, which is an electronic marvel which will allow you to change the frequency of the AC going to a 3-phase motor. That changes the speed. You can take a 60-Hz 1800-RPM motor and run it at 900 RPM, 3600 RPM, or whatever the motor will take. It lets you pick any speed you want. You don't have to settle for a few predetermined speeds the way you would with pulleys.

It will also change 1-phase into 3-phase, so you can run 3-phase motors on your garage's 1-phase 220 power.

For a grinder, it's good to buy a VFD that comes with its own dustproof enclosure. A lot of people like the ones made by KB Electronics. I did not have that kind of VFD, so I had to buy a steel box and mount my VFD in it.