Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Poland308 wrote:I've been welding on some zinc coated nuts for a side project. Finished a few welds while I had blobs big enough they were touching the edge of my #7 cup. Good enough for a garden cart. :lol:
I hope you're not breathing zinc fumes.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Chips O'Toole wrote:My tungsten arrived. I decided to throw one on the belt grinder. Does this look all right?

I held it in a drill, to turn it while I ground it. Kind of surprised it's not completely symmetrical.
Those are ok. I do mine by hand on a Harbor Freight 3" mini grinder.

bigfabdaddy
    Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:26 pm

My 2017 AHP Alpha TIG will be here tomorrow between 9:15am and 1:15pm. I work from 10am-4pm then class from 5pm-9pm. Planning on getting it set up tomorrow night then start practicing between classes so I can be a better tig welder than anyone else in the class.
Lincoln SP 175 Plus
AHP Alpha TIG 200X (on the way)
Oxy/Acetylene Torch
bigfabdaddy

Oscar wrote:
Chips O'Toole wrote:My tungsten arrived. I decided to throw one on the belt grinder. Does this look all right?

I held it in a drill, to turn it while I ground it. Kind of surprised it's not completely symmetrical.
Those are ok. I do mine by hand on a Harbor Freight 3" mini grinder.

What do you mean by hand? Just hold them in your fingers and give them a little rotation while you put them to the grinder? I ordered a Wen 6" grinder to be my dedicated tungsten grinder. I have yet to grind a tungsten, I will be shown how tomorrow during the class when we go over the tig machines that are sitting in the shop.
Lincoln SP 175 Plus
Oxy/Acetylene Torch
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Yup exactly.
    Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm

If you have a 3d printer or if you've got a school/buddy that has one then you can print a Tungsten grinder for a Dremel. I've been using this quite a bit and it works wonderfully! It's a remesh of someone else's design that was a remesh of someone else's design.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1905626
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
22+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)
bigfabdaddy

Oscar wrote:Yup exactly.
I have been grinding mine by hand on my bench grinder rather than loading them in a drill and it works amazingly. I got such a nice point on some 1/16 2% lanthinated it makes a super tiny weld puddle on the steel I was playing around on last night. Thanks.
Lincoln SP 175 Plus
Oxy/Acetylene Torch