Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Arthurbl
    Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:48 am

Took the same rod that tuned black on me and had a guy at work use it and it while he was setting up his machine and it worked
Attachments
IMG_6269.JPG
IMG_6269.JPG (41.93 KiB) Viewed 986 times
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

That did not work. That cleaning band is gigantic and that black soot and contamination is less but there is still a problem.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

exnailpounder wrote:That did not work. That cleaning band is gigantic and that black soot and contamination is less but there is still a problem.

Read the whole thread. Yes, that latest bead is an improvement but still not great - lots of soot and as Ex said, the cleaning band is huge.

Now...the constant theme here is that adding filler is where it all goes wrong, yet you were very recently using the same filler and getting decent results.

Is this a fresh pack of filler, new to you, do you know its origins? Is there any chance that the same pack could contain a mix of rods?

Has anything changed? Are your gloves clean? IS there any way the filler could be getting contaminated between the pack and the welding job?

This is a toughie but I'm sure one of the wise ones here will crack it eventually.

BTW, that welder you have is very common (as I'm sure you know) and sold in every colour and 'brand' combination known to man. Quality variations aside, I have seen a guy on YouTube welding aluminium cans with it, so the potential is certainly there.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I am starting to think it's a balance problem.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Arthurbl

MosquitoMoto wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:That did not work. That cleaning band is gigantic and that black soot and contamination is less but there is still a problem.

Read the whole thread. Yes, that latest bead is an improvement but still not great - lots of soot and as Ex said, the cleaning band is huge.

Now...the constant theme here is that adding filler is where it all goes wrong, yet you were very recently using the same filler and getting decent results.

Is this a fresh pack of filler, new to you, do you know its origins? Is there any chance that the same pack could contain a mix of rods?

Has anything changed? Are your gloves clean? IS there any way the filler could be getting contaminated between the pack and the welding job?

This is a toughie but I'm sure one of the wise ones here will crack it eventually.

BTW, that welder you have is very common (as I'm sure you know) and sold in every colour and 'brand' combination known to man. Quality variations aside, I have seen a guy on YouTube welding aluminium cans with it, so the potential is certainly there.
The only thing that change when this all happens is when I was trying to weld behind a pipe that was hard to reach so I stuck the tungston out as far as I could but I couldn't get enough gas coverage so I gave up after that it won't weld right when I add filler I was also messing with the setting to try and get it to work . But I'm almost sure I got the settings how they used to be .. the filler I took to work is one that I tired using I just snipped the end off that I messed up .. I tried no gloves to ruel that out same thing .. it's the same pack of filler I was using .. I sure hope so I'm lost .. no I don't know that thanks for the information tho ..
Arthurbl

exnailpounder wrote:I am starting to think it's a balance problem.
What should I try ? I tired more cleaning and less and it don't help to much
Arthurbl

He was setting up his machine and was trying his setting out with my filler .. it was a test and it proved my filler is good even though that's a bad weld
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Have you cleaned your filler wire???? Take some acetone and a clean shop paper towel, and wipe them down really well. Aluminum oxidizes immediately, and all your welds with filler show contamination, the only constant being the wire.

After you wipe down the wire, take a picture of the paper towel, and make sure the parts you're welding are super clean! A good clean, stainless brush, followed by Acetone. Then weld. Tight arc and put the wire in and out and run a bead.
Arthurbl

cj737 wrote:Have you cleaned your filler wire???? Take some acetone and a clean shop paper towel, and wipe them down really well. Aluminum oxidizes immediately, and all your welds with filler show contamination, the only constant being the wire.

After you wipe down the wire, take a picture of the paper towel, and make sure the parts you're welding are super clean! A good clean, stainless brush, followed by Acetone. Then weld. Tight arc and put the wire in and out and run a bead.
I have cleaned everything with acetone and brushed everything still the same thing someone please help me figure this out !!!!!
Arthurbl

https://youtu.be/iOxZQjFC1ik
This video shows what happens when you add filler
This is after the video
This is after the video
IMG_6290.JPG (44.13 KiB) Viewed 928 times

Someone please help i don't know what else to do . Should I buy a new tig gun and hose ? Monday I'm going to get a new tank to try that again
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Is it possible you have the ground clamp and torch connections reversed?
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
Arthurbl

MarkL wrote:Is it possible you have the ground clamp and torch connections reversed?
No there correct for sure
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Is the welder under warranty? If so maybe contact the seller and see if you can return it for a new one. Maybe when your electrode was stuck out so far and you had a large gap between the tungsten and the piece you fried a capacitor or something. Seems like we are at a loss here. Did you try some new filler from a different source or even another type aluminum filler like 5356? Looks like a AC frequency problem or a gas or filler problem.
Arthurbl

electrode wrote:Is the welder under warranty? If so maybe contact the seller and see if you can return it for a new one. Maybe when your electrode was stuck out so far and you had a large gap between the tungsten and the piece you fried a capacitor or something. Seems like we are at a loss here. Did you try some new filler from a different source or even another type aluminum filler like 5356? Looks like a AC frequency problem or a gas or filler problem.
No sadly it's not under warranty anymore .yea maybe I'll take it part and see if I can find anything that looks burnt .. I tried new filler and new metal all the same thing .. I'll try a new tank if that don't work I guess I'm just screwed thanks for the help tho !!