Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

I bought a (used) TA 185 welder this weekend, gonna be for my nephew. I have one already I bought new about 8 years ago, love it! Anyways, I also bought a 'Weldtec' torch cooler that included a Weldtec 20 water cooled torch & 25' leads.
The torch came with a gas lens (1/8" tungsten) & #5 cup.

Does one use the same sized cup for wat/cool as for air/cooled? (which is to say with the same machine settings, similar welding)

I got the 3/32" stuff needed as that is the largest size I have ever used with my old 185.

The original CK aircooled 17 torch is bigger than the weldtec 20, which I like. Is there out there an even smaller w/c torch out there that is good?

I have a CK '9' pencil torch air cooled, I use a lot, (I weld a lotta small things), but it gets hot in a hurry. Any acceptable smaller w/c pencil torches out there?

What is recommended for coolant in the cooler? What do you use?

-c-

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

cornmuse wrote:I bought a (used) TA 185 welder this weekend, gonna be for my nephew. I have one already I bought new about 8 years ago, love it! Anyways, I also bought a 'Weldtec' torch cooler that included a Weldtec 20 water cooled torch & 25' leads.
The torch came with a gas lens (1/8" tungsten) & #5 cup.

Does one use the same sized cup for wat/cool as for air/cooled? (which is to say with the same machine settings, similar welding)

I got the 3/32" stuff needed as that is the largest size I have ever used with my old 185.

The original CK aircooled 17 torch is bigger than the weldtec 20, which I like. Is there out there an even smaller w/c torch out there that is good?

I have a CK '9' pencil torch air cooled, I use a lot, (I weld a lotta small things), but it gets hot in a hurry. Any acceptable smaller w/c pencil torches out there?

What is recommended for coolant in the cooler? What do you use?

-c-
The cup size (ID) can be the same between the torches for the gas flow, but the alumina cups are different for a 9,20, and 25 series, and won't fit a 17,18, or 26 series torch for instance.

There are a few manufacturer's out there and many torches to choose from. One example:
https://www.millerwelds.com/accessories ... ig-torches

Coolant recommended is made specially for tig torch cooling and can be bought from the LWS or Miller or HTP etc. I am guessing people may have tried RV coolant etc but the correct stuff has an algicide and a lubricant (or at least I think they do) so I just use the correct stuff. The correct stuff is also non-conductive. ;)

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/bes ... olers.html
Chuck_junks
    Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:00 am

electrode wrote:
Coolant recommended is made specially for tig torch cooling and can be bought from the LWS or Miller or HTP etc. I am guessing people may have tried RV coolant etc but the correct stuff has an algicide and a lubricant (or at least I think they do) so I just use the correct stuff. The correct stuff is also non-conductive. ;)

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/bes ... olers.html
*disclaimer*
Yup as electrode said the correct coolant for your torch cooler is sold at your LWS...
*end disclaimer*

And if I had a machine that was still in it's warranty I would buy and use said coolant... but for my old Syncrowave 250 and Bernard water cooler I run a mix of distilled water and the orange automotive coolant and have had no issues what so ever. I even change it out annually and take the top off the tank to check for funk growing in it. Nothing in 3 years.

Chuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I would get the RV plumbing antifreeze and distilled water, and call it good. Nothing lives in that stuff. That's why they sell it for that purpose. It also has no "corrosion inhibitors" to protect your engine block, or other nonsense that could conduct HFAC.

Granted, the Miller coolant has documentation for it's performance in this application, but unless you're under warranty, I'd go with the anecdotal evidence that RV antifreeze is fine.

Steve S