It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 4:37 pm Advanced search

Erratic arc

Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

Re: Erratic arc

Postby Rudy Ray » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:39 pm

I once had gotten the gas line pinched between the bottle and the bottle rack. When you initiated the gas flow you would get the little puff sound and feel the gas flow but then it petered out to so little flow it was worth nothing. It took me a while to figure it out but after moving the gas hose everything went back to normal.
Rudy Ray
Workhorse

Postby Poland308 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:29 am

If you over heated your torch it's posible the cable inside your lead melted through the gas hose internally. I've done that. You may have melted enough stuff inside the hose to cause a restriction.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby Arno » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:36 am

Rick van winkle wrote:The picture of gas lens setup as requested. Is this right?

I know people leave them out, but for the gas lense cup you officially need to fit the second spacer/seal between the tapered end and the cup, so it looks like this:

Bye, Arno.
Arno
Guide

Postby exnailpounder » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:24 am

I guess we are all going to have to agree to disagree on the mystical torch cup gasket.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger

Postby raticus » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:00 am

Rudy Ray wrote:^^^^^^
I have put a sharpened 3/32 stainless rod in place of tungsten once, it just made a mess of everything. Go figure.

ha, yeah, that's why I said that... I did the same thing once... that's what I get for having a cluttered messy welding table, "oh good, there's a length of tungsten! i'll just sharpen that up..." fail.
am I the only one that can't feed filler rod with magical thumb action?
raticus
Workhorse

Postby raticus » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:10 am

I think it's safe to say in this discussion that gas is the culprit... I myself doubt the insulator makes any difference at all, and having too much gas flow is a good thought but I doubt that too as it would have to be an awful lot of gas to blow itself out that consistently I would think (?).

But what this does remind me of is a situation many years ago where I was first learning how to weld with MIG, my then brand new bottle gauges were reading the correct flow, but I had similar issues as the OP... I swapped over to a friend's set of gauges who I was sharing the shop with, and problem went away. Turned out my new gauges/hose had some debris stuck inside of them from the factory that allowed gas to flow but at a much restricted rate... Eventually I managed to unclog them and they were fine after.
am I the only one that can't feed filler rod with magical thumb action?
raticus
Workhorse

Postby Rick van winkle » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:01 pm

raticus wrote:I think it's safe to say in this discussion that gas is the culprit... I myself doubt the insulator makes any difference at all, and having too much gas flow is a good thought but I doubt that too as it would have to be an awful lot of gas to blow itself out that consistently I would think (?).

But what this does remind me of is a situation many years ago where I was first learning how to weld with MIG, my then brand new bottle gauges were reading the correct flow, but I had similar issues as the OP... I swapped over to a friend's set of gauges who I was sharing the shop with, and problem went away. Turned out my new gauges/hose had some debris stuck inside of them from the factory that allowed gas to flow but at a much restricted rate... Eventually I managed to unclog them and they were fine after.

Good idea. I never even looked inside the bottle valve before i stuck the regulator on
Rick van winkle

Postby noddybrian » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:24 pm

I hope the OP figures it out - but on the insulator debate I'll add I seen a lot of problems caused by it - maybe an unlucky combination of makes / tolerances but without the correct ones you can get either ceramic is done up against end of brass thread & cracks ceramics due to metal expansion / contraction - recent post showed this - always breaks in the same place or by having a gap near torch body the threads can be loose enough that air is drawn in down the thread in much the same way it can on gas line leaks - initially makes no sense but it can & does happen causing much head scratching as to the cause of gas issues - I get any number of people visit me with the common issue " I bought this Tig but it's faulty coz it does'nt weld like Jody's " ! it's usually simple but you have to see it not go by a description of what they think.
noddybrian
Weldmonger

Postby Rick van winkle » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:48 pm

raticus wrote:I think it's safe to say in this discussion that gas is the culprit... I myself doubt the insulator makes any difference at all, and having too much gas flow is a good thought but I doubt that too as it would have to be an awful lot of gas to blow itself out that consistently I would think (?).

I think youve hit the nail on the head. Im thinking ive got something in the solenoid valve. Im getting steady argon supply out of the regulator but out of the torch hose im getting a good initial burst of gas that tapers off to a light breeze. I guess im pulling the case.
Rick van winkle

Postby Jim FLinchbaugh » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:06 am

Do you have a magnet anywhere near what you're welding?
Like holding 2 pieces together?
Jim FLinchbaugh
Workhorse

PreviousNext

Return to Tig Welding - Tig Welding Aluminum - Tig Welding Techniques - Aluminum Tig Welding