Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
LIGOOMBA
    Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:18 pm

I'm just throwing this out there .Does anyone make a replacement auto darkening lens for a Miller hood other than Miller?That is decent ? Mine just took a crap ,it doesn't auto darken anymore .I put new batteries in it and they lasted about 2 days .The on/off light does not work either .Its out of warranty .Its a digital elite .I emailed Miller and they told me to go to my local WS store .They were no help unfortunately. I was just wondering if there something that works without breaking the bank.If not I'm just gonna order a new Miller .
Thanks
Louie ("aka"Long Island Goomba)
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

break the bank. optrel.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I don't think you'll have any luck. Most helmets within a manufacturer line are just different enough that even accessories from the same manufacturer don't fit all models. And to think we could swap parts across manufacturers? Forget about it. Hate to hear yours gave up the ghost.

I recently replaced an Elite with an Infinity. Found it on sale at Indiana Oxygen's website. Really LOVE it.
bigfabdaddy
    Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:26 pm

I am having a similar issue trying to find the clear covers for my Chinese knockoff hoods. Next will be a jackson safety to hack up and shorten for tighter spaces and fit.
Lincoln SP 175 Plus
AHP Alpha TIG 200X (on the way)
Oxy/Acetylene Torch
LIGOOMBA

Thanks all .Guess I'm shopping for a new hood !
clavius
    Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:32 pm

Just a thought, but if your local welding supply place was of no help I think I'd give a shot at contacting Miller directly again and making them aware of that fact. I'd let them know that you did as they suggested, contacted your local dealer, got no help, and would to know if there is some assistance available directly from them.

If you have had this hood for a long time and gotten lots of use from it, it may not be reasonable to expect them to replace the autodark filter for free. Stuff wears out, but they may give you a bit of a break on a replacement filter or something. Most good companies (and Miller would certainly qualify as one of those) try hard to stand behind their products.

Cant' hurt to ask, and the worst that happens is that they opt not to do anything and say "no".

LIGOOMBA wrote:Thanks all .Guess I'm shopping for a new hood !
If you sign up for their email newsletter you'll get $15 your next order with Welding Supplies From IOC, that's what I did when I bought my new hood
Richard
Website
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

I just bought a digital elite from Cyberweld.com, they had them for $221 and miller had a $25 rebate going on. Not sure if you want the same helmet again, but that's the best price I found.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

MarkL wrote:
I just bought a digital elite from Cyberweld.com, they had them for $221 and miller had a $25 rebate going on. Not sure if you want the same helmet again, but that's the best price I found.
https://www.weldersupply.com/P/334/Mill ... liteAutoDa

$215 plus a $35 rebate. Not much of a difference but eh. it is what it is. Also, I may be a little late but I recommend the digital infinity. Great hood. Never want another hood unless I absolutely have to. I used another cheaper hood the other day and it reminded me how nice it is to see my welding so whatever you go with make sure it is clear as day.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
LIGOOMBA

Appreciate all the input .I just found out today we have a Miller rep that comes to work every Thursday .Duh !!! on my part !!! We have all Miller equipment and I asked a few of the other fabricators ,I'm still fairly new in the fab shop.Ive been thinking about the Lincoln Viking 3350 that Jody recommends as well.I have no complaints with my Miller.There are plenty of good hoods to choose from out there .Appreciate it I will report back !
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

The Elite is a very nice helmet, but I'll say it again, the Infinity is REALLY nice and was on sale at IOC for just about the same money. Much larger viewing area, and some other nice features such as weld time, timers, etc if you do anything for money. Plus the head restraint I find a great deal more comfortable.
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

My Digial Elite better last me a long time I have a yr now and like it very much.
Troy Boy 72
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:22 pm

Hey mate I've been using a lincoln viking 3350 for about 2 years and was very happy with it. Just recently after hearing very good things about lincolns new 4c lens i was lucky enough to try one i was that impressed i bought one . The clarity of it with the blue tint in the lens is outstanding . I also wear prescription glasses and cheater lens as well. Good luck with your decision . Cheers Troy
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

cj737 wrote:The Elite is a very nice helmet, but I'll say it again, the Infinity is REALLY nice and was on sale at IOC for just about the same money. Much larger viewing area, and some other nice features such as weld time, timers, etc if you do anything for money. Plus the head restraint I find a great deal more comfortable.
+1
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick