Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
bigfabdaddy
    Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:26 pm

5th Street Fab wrote:Thanks it doesn't take long to learn I had maybe 10 hours of aluminum experience before I got this job 3 months ago. The test was an outside corner and a t joint on 1/8" aluminum. Just learn to be consistant.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Those are the two welds my father-in-law says they use to test but I am unsure of the thickness of the aluminum for the test.
Lincoln SP 175 Plus
AHP Alpha TIG 200X (on the way)
Oxy/Acetylene Torch
    Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:08 am

A lot of times its just to see if your trainable. So if they tell you a different way of doing something try it. But until then just sit down and practice practice practice.

bigfabdaddy

5th Street Fab wrote:A lot of times its just to see if your trainable. So if they tell you a different way of doing something try it. But until then just sit down and practice practice practice.

Plan to start that as soon as my TIG machine is here. Only bad thing about getting and AHP from what I can see is the waiting on the container to get unpacked and a unit shipped out to you.
Lincoln SP 175 Plus
Oxy/Acetylene Torch

bigfabdaddy wrote:
5th Street Fab wrote:A lot of times its just to see if your trainable. So if they tell you a different way of doing something try it. But until then just sit down and practice practice practice.

Plan to start that as soon as my TIG machine is here. Only bad thing about getting and AHP from what I can see is the waiting on the container to get unpacked and a unit shipped out to you.
Haha true. That's what I have at home and used in that video. Great machine though

bigfabdaddy

5th Street Fab wrote:
bigfabdaddy wrote:

Haha true. That's what I have at home and used in that video. Great machine though

What model do you have? I ordered the 2017 so thats why I am having to wait a bit. Do they really come with the knockoff CK flex head torch and super flex line? That is something I forgot to save cash to pick up. Would love to get a Flex Loc with 25m line later down the line along with building a 30m ground clamp this way I can let the machine sit in one spot and still weld any were in the basement(someday shop/garage.)
Lincoln SP 175 Plus
Oxy/Acetylene Torch

2016 model it came with a 17 flex head torch. Definitely not a superflex hose. I bought a number 9 superflex ck from usaweld and soon I'll get the s ssc foot pedal. The stock one Works but it isn't the best and it moves around on you unless you make a base for it.

bigfabdaddy

5th Street Fab wrote:2016 model it came with a 17 flex head torch. Definitely not a superflex hose. I bought a number 9 superflex ck from usaweld and soon I'll get the s ssc foot pedal. The stock one Works but it isn't the best and it moves around on you unless you make a base for it.

Thanks, I was planning to get flex loc 9 and 17 this way I have some changes in size and then put a CK stubby kit on the 17 to make the cup the 9 size. The SSC pedal is on my wish-list already for Christmas and I don't even have the welder yet.
Lincoln SP 175 Plus
Oxy/Acetylene Torch