Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

seems mental heath is running rampant here.....
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Rudy Ray wrote:Holy Cow !! This thread took a left hand turn.

Today I was at about 1/2 speed as far as production goes. If it's not better tomorrow morning I'm switching back over to a thumb wheel. As well, standing on one foot all day is beginning to hurt.
Well I would go back to the thumb wheel too. Foot pedal is kind of annoying unless you are sitiing. Feel bad for you man.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Rudy Ray
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

I put the thumb wheel on as soon as I got to the shop this morning, things are going much better.
I'll post a picture of this little monstrosity tonight when I have a network to download a picture to.

I'm typically not a whiner, but yesterday just sucked.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Rudy Ray wrote:I put the thumb wheel on as soon as I got to the shop this morning, things are going much better.
I'll post a picture of this little monstrosity tonight when I have a network to download a picture to.

Can we still shit in your thread though? :lol: I guess I should apologize here. I have come to the determination that life should be fun no matter what you're into. I do my best to make sure everyone around me sees life as short so....I had a bad day myself til it was drinky-poo time. Its the only thing that makes my worn out joints feel better.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Rudy Ray

exnailpounder wrote: Can we still shit in your thread though? :lol: I guess I should apologize here. I have come to the determination that life should be fun no matter what you're into. I do my best to make sure everyone around me sees life as short so....I had a bad day myself til it was drinky-poo time. Its the only thing that makes my worn out joints feel better.

Of course you can shit in my thread, we're welders, our skin is thick.
I live by "If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll do it for you".
I quit my evening whisky on Sunday the 5th followed by a 3 day fast. My mother drank herself to death and I like to keep it in check to make sure there is no "problem". I was also starting to weigh more than I'm comfortable with and quitting the sauce just melts the pounds away. The next time I touch Mr. Beam or the silver bullet will be at 185 lbs, 220 now.
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
Rudy Ray wrote:I put the thumb wheel on as soon as I got to the shop this morning, things are going much better.

Can we still shit in your thread though? :lol: I guess I should apologize here. I have come to the determination that life should be fun no matter what you're into. I do my best to make sure everyone around me sees life as short so....I had a bad day myself til it was drinky-poo time. Its the only thing that makes my worn out joints feel better.
My joints are getting worn out here lately too and I am not sure drinking fixes anything. :lol: I follow the recommended rules on heart healthy drinking now as I drank enough in the past and got away with it, I think. You have the same attitude as me though. ;)
electrode

Rudy Ray wrote:
exnailpounder wrote: Can we still shit in your thread though? :lol: I guess I should apologize here. I have come to the determination that life should be fun no matter what you're into. I do my best to make sure everyone around me sees life as short so....I had a bad day myself til it was drinky-poo time. Its the only thing that makes my worn out joints feel better.

Of course you can shit in my thread, we're welders, our skin is thick.
I live by "If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll do it for you".
I quit my evening whisky on Sunday the 5th followed by a 3 day fast. My mother drank herself to death and I like to keep it in check to make sure there is no "problem". I was also starting to weigh more than I'm comfortable with and quitting the sauce just melts the pounds away. The next time I touch Mr. Beam or the silver bullet will be at 185 lbs, 220 now.
Good answer. :lol: ;) Its harder to lose weight when you get older it seems. I think that part of the problem is hereditary as I had an aunt that ran a tavern and drank and smoked until she died in her 90's. Some people do the same thing and don't last as long. My mother in law always talks about her family drinking themselves to death so she was a tea-totaller most of her life and she recently got cancer. Anyhow, good luck on the weight loss etc as I know how good you will feel when you reach your goal. The hard part is not doing it all over again and getting heavy. :lol:
Rudy Ray

The grey days of winter kill me, when I'm done with work I just want to hang out with Jim all evening.
When I'm drinkin' good I go through a 1.75 for the week and another 1.75 for the weekend, and am never sloppy and get up for work just fine the next day. I never 4:20, only booze. And, for me to quit, it is easy, I just stop. The first evening after work is a little itchy because of the habit of having a class around, so I drink milk and water instead (not mixed).

From what I understand us welders have a propensity for alcoholism, or is it alcoholics have a propensity for welding, I'm not sure which.
Rudy Ray

This is the project. 3/4" x 0.120 aluminum tubing and 1' x 3/16 alum flat.
I spent the morning cleaning the parts to make 20 then welded up 10, I'll finish this batch tomorrow. There is 120 total to do.
IMG_0082.JPG
IMG_0082.JPG (37.33 KiB) Viewed 980 times
IMG_0081.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG (34.82 KiB) Viewed 980 times
IMG_0083.JPG
IMG_0083.JPG (23.62 KiB) Viewed 980 times
IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG (27.34 KiB) Viewed 980 times
PG[/attachment]
I weld what I can in the jig, remove and finish, then weld the ends of the tubes shut.
Attachments
IMG_0085.JPG
IMG_0085.JPG (23.67 KiB) Viewed 980 times
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Those look like a pain in the ass to weld. I would need a drink after that aggravation. My knees and lower back are all but done from so many years of carpentry and I refuse to take drugs, any drugs, for the pain so a few strong ones after the day is done helps more than anything else ever has. I also like to look at life from an elevated mood and the pain i live with sometimes bothers me so bad that it makes me grouchy so I drink. I can quit at will and regularly lay off for days or maybe weeks at a time so I don't burn out my liver. I Just went to a wake for an old friend that drank himself to death and have known several people that have done it so I like to keep it in check but my hat is off to anyone that flat out quits.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
electrode

Rudy Ray wrote:This is the project. 3/4" x 0.120 aluminum tubing and 1' x 3/16 alum flat.
I spent the morning cleaning the parts to make 20 then welded up 10, I'll finish this batch tomorrow. There is 120 total to do.
IMG_0082.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG
IMG_0083.JPG
IMG_0084.J[attachment=0]IMG_0085.JPG
PG[/attachment]
I weld what I can in the jig, remove and finish, then weld the ends of the tubes shut.
Looks great. What are they? A jig sure helps. I remember when I used to do some "one of" tubing work and each one was different so I really had no reason to make a jig. I wish I was doing 120 of them as the jig sure would have made life easier.
Rudy Ray

These are frames for a high powered back pack fan similar to what the fire fighters use. The company that manufactures these are only capable of mig welding steel so they hire me to glue em up. This is a "special" design for the IDF (Israeli Defense Force), when they find a tunnel in their land they will throw a few smoke grenades in the hole and place this fan over the hole. When they see where the other end of the hole is from the smoke they mortar the shit out of it.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Sounds like a pretty good gig you got there. I'm surprised they told you what they are for. You do a nice job though.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
electrode

Rudy Ray wrote:These are frames for a high powered back pack fan similar to what the fire fighters use. The company that manufactures these are only capable of mig welding steel so they hire me to glue em up. This is a "special" design for the IDF (Israeli Defense Force), when they find a tunnel in their land they will throw a few smoke grenades in the hole and place this fan over the hole. When they see where the other end of the hole is from the smoke they mortar the shit out of it.
Nice. The IDF doesn't take much crap, that's for sure. :D
electrode

exnailpounder wrote:Those look like a pain in the ass to weld. I would need a drink after that aggravation. My knees and lower back are all but done from so many years of carpentry and I refuse to take drugs, any drugs, for the pain so a few strong ones after the day is done helps more than anything else ever has. I also like to look at life from an elevated mood and the pain i live with sometimes bothers me so bad that it makes me grouchy so I drink. I can quit at will and regularly lay off for days or maybe weeks at a time so I don't burn out my liver. I Just went to a wake for an old friend that drank himself to death and have known several people that have done it so I like to keep it in check but my hat is off to anyone that flat out quits.
Gotta stay in shape for those golden years. One day you will realize you are old. It sneaks up on you. :o
Rudy Ray

Farmwelding wrote:Sounds like a pretty good gig you got there. I'm surprised they told you what they are for. You do a nice job though.
thank you