Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Bbqguy
    Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:12 pm

I am new to the forum and TIG welding.
Th problem I am facing is for what ever the reason is, I can not see the puddle with TIG. I am able to MIG, STICK and gas weld for the most part with good success. I have tried several helmets along with different setting on the helmet as well as the machines. I have tried with prescription glasses and without. I have tried a cheater lens of up to 2.25, but am unable to see the start or continued puddle to manage. It would be wonderful if I could see what is shown on the videos on this site, but I know I am dreaming,
Signed frustrated beyond belief.
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Auto darkening hood? Reduce filter affect maybe. I use a 2.25 in a Miller auto hood and my bifocals and can see every detail of the puddle. Guess keep experimenting. BTW I use the Miller digital elite and love it
Last edited by bruce991 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Used to have the same problem, changing to a 400$ helmet was a big help.

Tested a lot of different helmets, even some more expensive, until I found the one that fit my vision best.

Using Esab Aristotech HD now
Last edited by AndersK on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

anders
what lid did you end up buying then?
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

Last line Craig, just added one word... ;)
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

You don't specifically indicate "why" you can't see the puddle with TIG. Is it not in focus? Having tried different hoods, have you tried different "positions" for your head/eyeline? Have you tried different "distances" for your head to the puddle?

If you need reading glasses, then welding is a challenge due to the angle our eyes look thru the helmet, and often the distance to the puddle is in that "No Man's Land" of focal clarity.

I use a 2.50 cheater and wear progressive lenses. But, I look through my "distance" prescription when welding (makes me tuck my chin more than usual) so the cheater becomes my viewing plane. Then I adjust my distance to the weld to get real clarity. This took a while to figure out for me.

I personally believe changing my helmet recently helped immensely with peripheral view and ambient light to show me where I was heading. I was struggling with too narrow a focal view, and no ability see forward or behind. Adding some extra work light in the area is also a good thing as long as the light source is not form behind you, but in front of the helmet.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

sorry Anders, senior moment...
craig
how long have you had the helmet?
any issues ?
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

...Or me being unclear Craig

Getting close to a year now.
Only issue is the cheater lens needing tape to stay in place, even if it is an expensive original Esab cheater . Other from that it's great.
Bbqguy

Thank you so much for the response. Give me some things to tweak. I just switched to a Viking 3350 series helmet and it has a larger viewing area than the ones I used before.
I am using a 2.25 cheater lens, but have not tried using the bifocal glasses I have as an addition. The trouble is visualizing and seeing the puddle when it forms in order to then manage it. I have tried every angle with my head to almost laying it on the table.
I will be darned if I let this get the better of me.

Thank you again and I look for any and all insight that is given.
dmcnally
    Sun May 22, 2016 11:45 am

This is a longshot. When I welded left handed (weak side) I could see a butt joint and puddle great. When I welded right handed (strong side) I couldn't see the butt joint and I could barely see the puddle. It didn't make any sense to me.

I weld in my garage and it's a pretty cramped setup. I did find a soltion to the problem and it surprised me. I have an incandescent light on the cieling over a work bench. When I welded right handed the back of my helmet pointed directly at the light. I didn't realize it, but I was getting reflections of the bulb off the inside on the helmet's viewport. I took the light bulb out of the socket and that solved my problem.

Good luck,
Dave
FoxZulu
    Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:19 am

I used to have this problem until I realised it was the fluorescent lighting above and behind me. Switched the lights off and it was night and day different! As it is a pita to keep switching the lights on and off I cut a section of denim out of a knackered pair of Levi's and taped it to the top of my mask so that it hangs down over my shoulders like long hair would. Works a treat :)
Bbqguy

I will check that out for sure. I had not given that a thought.

Thank You!
mpete53
    Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:33 am

try adding filler slightly from the far side of the weld. I find if I add the rod directly in line some times it blocks my view of the puddle and the joint. Especial if I am working on thin stock where the puddle is very small

Mark