Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I would always have a floating ball for visual check on flow & more consistent setting by trimming the needle valve but am convinced that an adjustable pressure gauge is better - when possible use a twin stage - they are hard to find marked up for argon but it's very easy to find them as low pressure oxygen regulators intended really for gas welding not cutting - this gives much more accurate flow at low pressure - don't worry what the outlet pressure gauge reads - just adjust for desired flow on ball - you can always swap an argon pressure gauge onto it if you are that bothered - most of us have boxes of old regs to pick through even if the necks are bent or broke from bottle mishaps ! most " old school " welders can set flow pretty well just by sound - putting the cup to the ear to set ( on post flow to avoid HF ! )
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

So I guess I will bleed pressure off if not going to weld for a day or so. Find I have to activate solenoid anyway for flow verification so argon is going to be wasted a bit either way.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Back to the original question, There is nothing technically wrong with leaving the pressure in the line after welding. I believe, but could be mistaken, that the solenoid in the machine can handle 200 psi (??) and your regulator/flowmeter puts out 25-50 plus and that is it. Your hose should be able to handle 200 psi and most of the brass fittings in this line are either 200 psi or 3,000 psi capable. Point is you shouldn't damage anything with that little gas that is in there.

However, I have read about OSHA dinging companies for leaving that gas in the line. What their exact basis is behind that I am not sure.
Jonathan
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I never bleed off argon - have never worked anywhere that did & see little benefit ( other than BOC profit ! ) in doing so - I like to see how long the pressure will stay when not in use as an indicator there are no system leaks - now if it were oxygen / acetylene or other fuel gases I get it - there is some potential for safety issues - but not with an inert gas - I guess if it's a habit you have there is no harm in it - seems more likely it's taught at school as a blanket advice on all gas without the need to explain why you're doing it or identifying the situations it is good practice.
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

I always bleed off, then back off the regulator adjuster so there is no pressure on it when I turn the gas on the nest time. Habit... :|
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

At home and at work. I shut the tank valve and call it good. No more no less. Oxy acetylene setup I blead off pressure after I shut off the tank but no more than that.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

I just decided shut of the bottle and leave regulator as is, see no harm in either way I figure.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

bruce991 wrote:I just decided shut of the bottle and leave regulator as is, see no harm in either way I figure.
That's what I do, and my argument is simple. Positive pressure in the lines means no moisture or atmosphere can get in. Not likely in any event, but it sounds good, so I say it. :roll:

Steve S
Keith_J
    Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:55 am

No need to bleed. The only issue with dual gauge flow meters is they won't show no flow if you have plugged or obstructed lines. The Dinse connector hose on my 200 DX has been kinked a time or two :oops:

Always shut off the tank valve but that is it. I made the habit of turning off the power after closing the valve.