Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
hypforlife32
    Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:11 pm

Hey guys, i posted awhile back about buying a viking 3350 welding hood. At first i loved it and technically still do but is there something im doing wrong because everyone gives these things killer reviews but this is my 2nd time of my shade all the sudden stopped switching to dark no matter what i do. Even hitting the test button doesn't do anything. I have only had the helmet for a couple months now...maybe 4 tops. I don't weld everyday but probably 3-4 hours on a sunday/wednesday on the side. I use it for my tig and all indoors. Its stored in my house were it is dry. Im just taken back by people loving the helmet and im just having such bad luck with it. And it never fails to quit when your 90 percent done something. Has anyone else experienced this or any idea? Luck of the draw?
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Try new batteries.
hypforlife32

I tossed a new battery in it, it says about 2.5 volts and the old one is about 1 volt when tested. i have not loaded tested them which i will take them both to work tomorrow and just double check. MAybe i just ahppened to get a bad battery from the store ? lol i am having no luck.
hypforlife32

sedanman wrote:Try new batteries.

Something is definelty wrong with the screen. I put in a new battery and the low battery light lite up and faded away within 5 seconds.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Assuming this takes lithium coin cells a new one should read over 3 volts - it's possible the screen is faulty but it's more likely you got unlucky & have a bad battery - it does happen.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I think your best bet is to return it before what warranty it does have runs out. I have a 3350 and absolutely love it but have already replaced the battery and only had it around 6 months.
Jonathan
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Not sure if this applies or helps but most helmets seem to use some minimal power even when not in active state - the solar panel takes care of this if left somewhere with sufficient light - I have found helmets that are not used often & / or put away in protective bag / locker etc have quite short battery life because of this - I keep mine in my own shop on top of the bottle / regulator & faced towards the windows to help - I do think it makes a difference.
hypforlife32

noddybrian wrote:Assuming this takes lithium coin cells a new one should read over 3 volts - it's possible the screen is faulty but it's more likely you got unlucky & have a bad battery - it does happen.

I wish that was the case, i bought 2 brand new batterys. So i doubt both of them were bad. I tested them volt wise before they went in the just get drained. I talk to lincoln and they are going to replace it and i told them if it happens a third time i just want my money back.
    Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:52 am

I had this on my first 3350, got the replacement and have had no problems since (2 years).
-Jon

I learned how to weld at night, but not last night. (despite how my weld looks)

Lincoln Viking 3350 K3034-2&3
Dynasty 210DX w/cps and coolmate3
Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

I was gonna post in this thread and say that I've had mine about 9 months and its been fine. Then thought whats the point of that, not really useful info. However went to use it today and battery is gone. Its reading 2.2V. So I got a new battery and all is well but I'll go measure the new one and see what the voltage is reading. Might pay to measure yours and it should be over 3V new and then use it a bit and see if it drops noticeably after a few hours use.
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
hypforlife32

Rupes wrote:I was gonna post in this thread and say that I've had mine about 9 months and its been fine. Then thought whats the point of that, not really useful info. However went to use it today and battery is gone. Its reading 2.2V. So I got a new battery and all is well but I'll go measure the new one and see what the voltage is reading. Might pay to measure yours and it should be over 3V new and then use it a bit and see if it drops noticeably after a few hours use.
IT would kill a battery in about 4 seconds..even a knew one that read 2.9-3.1V. Anyhow i got the new lense back in and it works great....again. Im hoping this one holds up this time!
CC3
  • CC3
    Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:19 pm

Was it an energizer battery? Mine died after 2 wks, brand new battery. Just try other brand. That energizer battery is known to have problems. Cheaper batteries will probably work better than that piece of junk.