Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

MarkL wrote:
Oscar wrote: With a clear cup I end up with better depth perception from an over-all stand point.
I think I'll try mine again, I need all the help I can get with vision.
It's worth a shot. For me it's a very big help, but everyone's eyes are different.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Oscar wrote:
MarkL wrote:
Oscar wrote: With a clear cup I end up with better depth perception from an over-all stand point.
It's worth a shot. For me it's a very big help, but everyone's eyes are different.
I never thought of a clear cup like that before Oscar. Makes sense. I just weld towards myself if at all possible so I have a good view of the arc/puddle. Those big cups would be great for Ti but I can't really see the use for one other than they look cool. And they aren't cheap'.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

exnailpounder wrote:I never thought of a clear cup like that before Oscar. Makes sense. I just weld towards myself if at all possible so I have a good view of the arc/puddle. Those big cups would be great for Ti but I can't really see the use for one other than they look cool. And they aren't cheap'.
Pretty sure you can get them in a more standard size??
Richard
Website
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

exnailpounder wrote:Those big cups would be great for Ti but I can't really see the use for one other than they look cool. And they aren't cheap'.
Certainly are great for Ti, but, if you need an extra long stick out to reach down into a crevice when welding tube joints, you need a much larger cup for gas coverage. Furcik even recently released a 16 cup. That's almost coverage and a trailing shield in one ;)
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

cj737 wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:Those big cups would be great for Ti but I can't really see the use for one other than they look cool. And they aren't cheap'.
Certainly are great for Ti, but, if you need an extra long stick out to reach down into a crevice when welding tube joints, you need a much larger cup for gas coverage. Furcik even recently released a 16 cup. That's almost coverage and a trailing shield in one ;)
Expensive! I would be in for a 16 cup if it was plain ol alumina. I found a LWS near me that sells #12 alumina cups...gonna take a ride tommorow 8-)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

exnailpounder wrote:
cj737 wrote:
Expensive! I would be in for a 16 cup if it was plain ol alumina. I found a LWS near me that sells #12 alumina cups...gonna take a ride tommorow 8-)
The #12 cup is likely used with the large gas lens collet body. CK Worldwide sells a #18 alumina cup, but it is intended to be used with their gas saver system, since it is a push-on style like their clear pyrex cup setup.

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:45 am

Arc Zone sells their line of Monster cups. I have used the 14, 16 and 24 with good results. I have used the pyrex cups before and did not like how easy they broke. First time I was going to weld up some titanium I broke my #16 with no spare. I did not notice that the puddle was easier to view with the pyrex ones. Im always focused on the puddle and get my face as close as I can. The pyrex cups did have a great diffuser system on them. Never had an issue with gas coverage.
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

Oscar wrote:
MarkL wrote:
I know what you mean about the depth perception. I never really figure out why though but I think you nailed it. I end up feeling like I'm welding with one eye shut after a bit and start losing track of spacial stuff, left eye seeing the arc and right eye shielded by the cup. I always thought it was the helmet lens being too far away from my eyes and the feeling that I'm welding looking through a window that was screwing it up. I might have to go experiment with that, I have the clear cups but always used them with the shield. I only used them for their shielding capacity.
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
bigfabdaddy
    Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:26 pm

Thanks for all the input I will look at getting a cup or three from Arc-Zone since they seem to come highly rated by you guys.
Lincoln SP 175 Plus
AHP Alpha TIG 200X (on the way)
Oxy/Acetylene Torch