Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Okay going to try again to walk the cup on inside T joint on carbon steel scrap. I always find my progression is jerky due to the cup not sliding as I wiggle. So got thinking has anyone tried sanding the porcelain to a bigger radius where it rides on the steel? To make the action more forgiving as you rotate and walk it.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I think you'll have a hard time sanding an aluminum oxide cup with aluminum oxide sandpaper. You might need a harder material on the sanding paper.
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

bruce991 wrote: I always find my progression is jerky due to the cup not sliding as I wiggle.
The cup shouldn't be sliding, the edge of the cup should be rolling along the surface. Jody gave a good analogy on one of his videos, he says it's like moving a heavy barrel across the floor. You tip the barrel one way and roll that edge a little ways, then you tip it the other way and roll it on that edge a little ways.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

MarkL wrote:
bruce991 wrote: I always find my progression is jerky due to the cup not sliding as I wiggle.
The cup shouldn't be sliding, the edge of the cup should be rolling along the surface. Jody gave a good analogy on one of his videos, he says it's like moving a heavy barrel across the floor. You tip the barrel one way and roll that edge a little ways, then you tip it the other way and roll it on that edge a little ways.
Agree not trying to slide cup but rocking and rolling while watching tungsten sweep across, but I often find the progress on a joint I sometimes get stuck just enough to lose spacing, especially if steel has any surface issues. I think I also push a bit inward and shouldn't. As I am doing this I ask if the cup had a bigger radius where I am contacting the metal would I be getting a smoother movement forward as I rock and roll along. I guess the cup is not something I can modify from what I read above.
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

bruce991 wrote: As I am doing this I ask if the cup had a bigger radius where I am contacting the metal would I be getting a smoother movement forward as I rock and roll along. I guess the cup is not something I can modify from what I read above.
Using a larger cup forces you to increase the stickout (or steepen torch angle), which can lead to other problems. I'm sure no expert, buy my experience is a #6 or #7 cup is about right.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

It takes a bit of practice to get the rythem down to walk the cup. I use a 4 or a 5 for the root on pipe and then progress to a 6-7-or 8 for the fill and covers. Depends on pipe size and thickness. If I can get away with it I'll use a 6 for all of it most times.
Note the barrel analogy mentioned earlier.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

IMG_1634.JPG
IMG_1634.JPG (66.26 KiB) Viewed 687 times
Here is an old pic I've posted before. Note the marks my cup left on the edge of the flange. Trails from walking the cup. That was a sch 40 carbon 4 inch slip on flange. Was welded in a vice just where it sat.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Carbon steel is more difficult to walk a cup on. The heat effects it and you get skipping and sticking intermittently. Less pressure than you're using, or more pressure on the back of the cup. Walking on stainless is butter smooth comparatively. And make sure you remove all the mill scale to aid your walking.