Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

pavetim wrote:Ok forgive the noob questions but that's what I am lol. For the trailer, like I said it's 3/16 mild steel. The miller calculator says 3/32 tungsten which I have, says 190-200 amps but that seems like ALOT. It says inverter tigs req's less heat but how much, I have an inverter tig. It calls for 1/8 filler too and again that seems awefully thick. I'll play around with some scraps first, just wanted your guys opinions before I start here is what I figure i'll start with.

17 series air cooled WP torch
3/32 2% Thoriated tungsten sharpened to point
1/8 ER70S-2 filler rod
170 amps running foot switch.
In my experience it depends what you are doing.

For example, I was tig welding 3/16" "t" joint today showing a student what to do.
I ran 160 amps because that's all that machine has. I would have run more like 180-190 on the other machine.

These adjustments just get done based on experience and personal taste. The student found 160 amps to be just right for his abilities because he could go slower.

I used 1/16" filler because that's all we have at the school right now - works fine but 3/32" filler would have been nice too.

With a gap I would have liked 150-160 amps - or less depending on the gap and bevel.

Why weld the trailer with tig when stick would be faster?

And of course the obvious question for me is, if you're a noob, why are you building a trailer?
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Miller recommended amps is for a full penetration weld in one pass for the specified parent thickness. If you have a vee preparation and intend to do two passes then you would halve the amps approximately.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

As for paint, this is apparently the best stuff on the market. Its apparently tough as anything.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15_Rust_Preventive_Coating

Mick
pavetim
    Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:10 pm

Yeah I was going to use Por 15 anyways I have it. I'm practicing now, not actually just jumping into the trailer but that's my end project. Never really though about the bevel and gap I was just going to Mitre 45 degree angles for the outside frame and weld but the option of gap and bevel and welding both sides that's an option too.
pavetim

Oh crap guess I forgot how thick my stuff was just measured the l angle and its 1/4 steel and not 3/16. Oops now my 210 everlast isn't strong enough
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

pavetim wrote:Oh crap guess I forgot how thick my stuff was just measured the l angle and its 1/4 steel and not 3/16. Oops now my 210 everlast isn't strong enough
Not ideal but bevel your edges and add in extra re-enforcement and you'll be ok or swap out for thinner stuff.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

pavetim wrote:Oh crap guess I forgot how thick my stuff was just measured the l angle and its 1/4 steel and not 3/16. Oops now my 210 everlast isn't strong enough
200+ class welder, in proper working order, is normal for 1/4" material and thicker.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
pavetim

My 210 EXT has 60% duty cycle at 210 Amps so will he good there. Ill practice with doing root, fill and cap welds and straight butt welds and see what happens. Don't worry ill practice before jumping on the trailer lol. Ill get some pieces and play around this weekend amd let you know how it goes.
pavetim

Got a better measurement now I'm not so tired. I got metal in Japan so it's odd size. Its actually 5.6mm which is about 7/32 so smaller than 1/4 so I should be fine. I will play around with 3/32 and 1/8 filler and see what one works for me. I have the tools to cut it, just need solution to etch it.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

If you're planning on welding both sides, you have plenty of juice. Even at 7/32"