Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Not sure what it's called but on You Tube there is a newish product that looks like a regular torch switch & has 4 in built power levels selected by how much pressure is applied - no hand or finger movement is needed to operate it - just how much pressure is used to grip - looked promising though I've never seen one to try - I did think about one but can't really justify the cost right now as I use Tig very little & learned without any amp control so except on thin aluminum don't really see the need for a pedal - I guess if it's how you learned & if you sit at a bench all the time their OK - it's weird I still find it harder to weld with a pedal than without though I admit I plugged mine in this week when I repaired a cracked aluminum frame in maybe 2mm unidentified wing profile box that holds oars on a racing boat.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

MarkL wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:Any advice as to where to position the slider on the torch handle?
I'm interested how you like this. I'm always trying to work the pedal with my knee or elbow while I'm laying on the ground. Would it be possible to use it with your filler hand? You wouldn't be able to feed the wire between your fingers, but it might help keep the torch steady.
For right now I hate it. I have thought about using my filler hand but the device has a weird shape to be able to clamp onto the torch handle. Thankfully I will only have to use it occasionally. It was an impulse buy when I was at the welders candy store :lol: Like others here, I have thought about alternate ways to operate a torch like mouth operated etc...One idea I had was an air filled bulb that you could squeeze to operate the amptrol, sorta like the on/off switch on a hot tub. If someone could build something like that, they would make some cash....of course I would want my share for the idea :lol: Until then I will just have to dedicate some time to sitting down and learning how to overcome my welders palsy. I have only tried it briefly so it's probably not as hard as I am making it sound but it really made me appreciate how nice the pedal is.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

jeff
i had (and sold) a Miller thumb roller. the only way
i could use it was the treat it like a switch.
i found as a tried to adjust the amps i would
dip the tungsten, too much going on there.
hope you have better luck.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Somewhere hidden I have a thumb roller. Couldn't use it efficiently without either wiggle the torch or release the torch switch. Also as soon as my machine detects a resistance in that circuit it assumes a pedal is connected and removes both up- and down slope.
Pretty much useless to me.

If I'm not using the pedal I increase slopes and pulse with the switch instead if I need to control the heat.
exnailpounder

AndersK wrote:Somewhere hidden I have a thumb roller. Couldn't use it efficiently without either wiggle the torch or release the torch switch. Also as soon as my machine detects a resistance in that circuit it assumes a pedal is connected and removes both up- and down slope.
Pretty much useless to me.

If I'm not using the pedal I increase slopes and pulse with the switch instead if I need to control the heat.
motox wrote:jeff
i had (and sold) a Miller thumb roller. the only way
i could use it was the treat it like a switch.
i found as a tried to adjust the amps i would
dip the tungsten, too much going on there.
hope you have better luck.
craig
Thats the problem I have is shaking the torch when I tried it. I just called the LWS and I am going to return it. I would rather struggle with the pedal in tight spots than try to get used to this thing.,
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

jeff
keep it and use it as a switch. i wish i had
kept mine for that purpose rather then
dragging the foot peddle around the table
to tack and run a fixed joint.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
exnailpounder

motox wrote:jeff
keep it and use it as a switch. i wish i had
kept mine for that purpose rather then
dragging the foot peddle around the table
to tack and run a fixed joint.
craig
I thought about keeping it but it was $200 so I would rather spend the money on other shit I don't need or wont use but will look good in my "tacklebox" :lol: