Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

nelson wrote:Otto/Steve, I agree. Scrap it.
I composed an answer last nite and posted it to the wrong cloud I guess...sure wasn't here. Seems the OP has similar hood time as I do. I'd blow a hole with the first foot press. I suggested use low temp braze and practice thin AL TIGing for the next time you see a job like this.

Am I right about the braze..with good prep and lots of flux if it were an emergency?
Yes, brazing can work. I mentioned that, I think. The issue is prep... Finding every single pinhole leak, and drilling it clean to a size that will accept the brazing filler. At that point of prep, TIG welding is as easy as brazing, IF you can control your heat input. Frankly, I'd have the filler in place like lay-wire, and hit it with 200A for about 2/10 second, like flash-tacking.

Given my choice, I'd still scrap it and build from 1/8"

Steve S
Rudy Ray
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

Okay, I've been a "professional" welder for about 15 years now and have never heard of using Silly Bronze on aluminum. Am I missing something? If anything, perhaps Alum Bronze, but I have yet to even try that as my LWS would need to order it because they don't keep it in stock.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Rudy Ray wrote:Okay, I've been a "professional" welder for about 15 years now and have never heard of using Silly Bronze on aluminum. Am I missing something? If anything, perhaps Alum Bronze, but I have yet to even try that as my LWS would need to order it because they don't keep it in stock.
You're right. Aluminum melts way before bronze so this wouldn't work.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Rudy Ray
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
Rudy Ray wrote:Okay, I've been a "professional" welder for about 15 years now and have never heard of using Silly Bronze on aluminum. Am I missing something? If anything, perhaps Alum Bronze, but I have yet to even try that as my LWS would need to order it because they don't keep it in stock.
You're right. Aluminum melts way before bronze so this wouldn't work.

So, what I'm getting from this is that most people can not comprehend from the original post or the title of the post that this tank is made from ALUMINUM !
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Just drill em out and weld em up, its not the easiest way but seems he doesen't care and just wants to go at it, I don't blame him.

We are gonna keep fighting over this until you just say its done and works :lol:
if there's a welder, there's a way