It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:56 am Advanced search

Having trouble Tig welding horseshoes

Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

Re: Having trouble Tig welding horseshoes

Postby noddybrian » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:02 pm

We must have posted almost together with similar thoughts - having looked again I would look at torch angle / gas flow / argon dam first while trying to not overheat of boil a large base metal puddle prior to adding filler - only try the 309 filler after ruling out gas issues as brand new horseshoes should weld with regular cheap ER70 rod - remember with Tig it's only the silicon / deoxidizers in the filler that can clean up impurities otherwise the longer & hotter you heat the base metal the more likely crap will boil out - other than appearance or less post weld clean up really Mig is more often used for this type work & usually welds fine - use nice small diameter wire fairly hot to achieve smooth but not too big welds.
noddybrian
Weldmonger

Postby donzi426 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:10 pm

I tried lowering my gas flow to 15 CFH. Also used 308 stainless filler road. Raised the amps to 173. I forgot to make a dam to coral the gas, but I'll try that next time. See Photo.
Attachments
IMG_7122.JPG
IMG_7122.JPG (51.02 KiB) Viewed 68 times
donzi426

Postby donzi426 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:11 pm

Here's the opposite side. Second one is still cruddy.
Attachments
IMG_7123.JPG
IMG_7123.JPG (44.22 KiB) Viewed 69 times
donzi426

Postby exnailpounder » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:23 pm

Better but you need to build a dam behind your weld area, I really believe you are drawing in air. Turn your gas down more. I have gone as low as 7 CFH. Too much flow causes a vortex and draws in air around something so small. You also need to pause a second to get a puddle, dip your filler and then repeat. It looks like you're lay wiring which cools off your puddle. Tig welds are flatter than other weld processes and filets can be somewhat concave.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger

Postby Poland308 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:50 pm

If those were close up pics then those horseshoes look borderline on cast. I'm still thinking metal quality. I've welded on old pipe in buildings that were over 100 years old and you fight the same problems there. Holes sometimes and good welds 1/2 inch later.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby donzi426 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:24 pm

Ok. I'll try lowering the gas. I'll also try to reach out to the ebayer I bought them from to see if they are cast or not. Thanks guys. Just remembered. While welding I see sparks flying around the weld. Maybe impurities.
donzi426

Postby donzi426 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:02 pm

Just contacted ebayer about horseshoes. He said that "they are steel sand blasted. Great for welding, used on horses or other projects. "
donzi426

Postby MinnesotaDave » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:42 pm

donzi426 wrote:Just contacted ebayer about horseshoes. He said that "they are steel sand blasted. Great for welding, used on horses or other projects. "

I suspect a technique issue. It may be as simple as you created mill scale on the backside and when you went to weld it you did not compensate for it. I find more heat faster, and getting some rod in right away for the "cleaning effect" works.

I welded some heavily mill scaled flat stock to solid square stock that didn't have the mill scale removed because it would ruin the "rustic look."

I used 200+ amps and 3/32" rod. I went immediate full pedal to puddle quick and got rod in immediately - it all welded real nice and no grinder marks.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger

Postby bruce991 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:19 am

FYI Walmart online sells shoes in bulk
bruce991
Guide

Postby Otto Nobedder » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:16 am

I'm in the "metal quality" camp on this, especially after the comment about sparks around the weld.

Higher quality shoes are available, but to work what you have, the fix is simple. Weld, grind, weld again. (Only where needed, of course.) You can grind about half the depth where it's porous, and re-weld.

I also recommend 309 for filler in all passes, because it resists porosity in poorer quality base metals, and this application is non-critical.

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

PreviousNext

Return to Tig Welding - Tig Welding Aluminum - Tig Welding Techniques - Aluminum Tig Welding