Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

donzi426 wrote:Today I tried something and I believe it works. Didn't clean or sand the horseshoes. Raised the heat to 180 Amps. Raised the gas flow to 20 CFH (lowering it just caused a mess). Used 70R-6 filler rod. Concentrated on the arc angle and bingo. Pretty nice weld. The second side wasn't as pretty, but I think by doing the first side it must release some of the contaminants in these shoes. See photos. I want to thank everyone who contributed to my post. Those suggestions did help.
You did not form a proper puddle on both pieces - if you look at the toes of your first pic you can see a distinct lack of fusion.

Maybe you should practice fillets on regular T joints and show them for some tips on tigging them?
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
donzi426
    Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:42 am

You're right Dave. I do need more practice on fillets. Back to the drawing board:-)
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

[quote="donzi426"]You're right Dave. I do need more practice on fillets. Back to the drawing board:-)[/quote Or use mig. Mig works on anything. Once you paint your project, a couple of iffy welds won't matter to anyone other than another welder looking to start some shit :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I love it you can disagree totally about something on one thread and yet pat someone on the back two posts later. Lots of times I will argue a point until I totally understand I'm wrong and then turn 180 deg and run just as hard the other way.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
donzi426

I know I can MIG these shoes, but I'm determined to conquer this project with TIG. Just need to get the right combination. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all your help.

Vinny
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
donzi426 wrote:You're right Dave. I do need more practice on fillets. Back to the drawing board:-)[/quote Or use mig. Mig works on anything. Once you paint your project, a couple of iffy welds won't matter to anyone other than another welder looking to start some shit :lol:
A grinder and paint will make you the weldor you ain't

But it is always better to weld it good and strong and not need the grinder except for aesthetics
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
donzi426

Just wanted to post an update: I found out why I was having trouble tig welding horseshoes. Today I decided to do some more horseshoes, determined to get it right. I do most of my welding in my one car garage so my welder and welding table are side by side. When I closed my garage door I felt a breeze as if the door was open. Low and behold I felt a breeze flowing over my table. It was the side vents of my welder that was shooting air past the area where I weld. I placed a barrier between the welder and table and low and behold I was welding horses without a problem. My bad!!!
Anyway, I want to thank everyone who tried to help with my problem.

donzi426 wrote:Just wanted to post an update: I found out why I was having trouble tig welding horseshoes. Today I decided to do some more horseshoes, determined to get it right. I do most of my welding in my one car garage so my welder and welding table are side by side. When I closed my garage door I felt a breeze as if the door was open. Low and behold I felt a breeze flowing over my table. It was the side vents of my welder that was shooting air past the area where I weld. I placed a barrier between the welder and table and low and behold I was welding horses without a problem. My bad!!!
Good to know, now if you have other issues I guess you'll already have a good start with trouble shooting tips. :lol:
Richard
Website
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

It's amazing how the truly simple things are the ones that bite us, and no one thinks of it when diagnosing a problem.

I'm glad you've solved it, and I'm glad you shared your solution, just to remind us all that sometimes we overthink the problem.

Steve S
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

donzi426 wrote:Just wanted to post an update: I found out why I was having trouble tig welding horseshoes. Today I decided to do some more horseshoes, determined to get it right. I do most of my welding in my one car garage so my welder and welding table are side by side. When I closed my garage door I felt a breeze as if the door was open. Low and behold I felt a breeze flowing over my table. It was the side vents of my welder that was shooting air past the area where I weld. I placed a barrier between the welder and table and low and behold I was welding horses without a problem. My bad!!!
Doh!.png
Doh!.png (67.7 KiB) Viewed 1368 times
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

:lol: Gosh that only took 5 pages. It happens. My mig welder quit welding on me the other day. I tore it apart and cleaned it out, cleaned out the liner and did everything I could think of and it still wouldn't weld or give me an error code. After I got the manual out, all I had to do was change the contact tip :oops: She welds like a dream again for 69 cents.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.