Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
pavetim
    Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:10 pm

Ok sorry for my ignorance but I'm learning here. I have a Everlast 210 EXT tig machine and bought a CK 9 torch. I was wondering can you swap jut the torch heads and use the flex cable that came with the 9 to say a 26 or 17? Or wont that cable be compatible or handle the amps? The 9 should be fine but i'll be welding some 3/16" steel angles and square tubing and I don't want to tax the small torch too much. I have the original one that came with the everlast but it's kind of bulky. thanks guys. Like this head http://www.weldingcity.com/tig-torch-pa ... 26-series/
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Most all torches separate from they're power cable by threaded connection in the torch handle - just slide back the handle to see it - you can swap a #9 with a #17 as both use the small ( 150 amp ) cable - the #26 however uses the larger 200 amp cable & larger thread so will not swap - it's been brought up here quite a bit including the possibility of adapters to convert large to small but it's not practical - so if you want large consumables on your small cable use a #17 head available on it's own & try not to exceed 150 amps for long ( even 150 is usually only @60% duty ) if you need 200 amps then buy a complete #26 with power cable.
pavetim
    Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:10 pm

Ok i'll grab the 17 head and I guess I can use the stock torch as it's a 26 for main welding. Thanks, that's the info I needed.