Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
CaseyCat89
    Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:31 pm

I'm currently practicing TIG aluminum in the vertical up position and it's been a difficult challenge. I think I've been working on Tee joints in this position for almost a month and I feel like I'm not seeing the progress I should be. I really just need someone to look at my positioning and beads because I seem to have the same issues over and over. My beads start out great, but they almost always look sloppy 3/4 of the way up and I cant pinpoint how. I watch Jody's video on the position a lot which does help. I just worry that I'm doing something wrong that I'm not catching. If I just need more time welding, that's OK, but I'm just frustrated trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I'm using a Syncrowave 250 DX, no frequency control.

140 amps
3/32 2% Lanth
3/32 5356
1/8" 6061 AL
25 cfh
#6 Gas lens

The pictures I attached are of my welds, and the position I take when I start the weld.

Thanks in advance!
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Do you have to do vertical up welds or is it just practice? When I Tig, if I am able to position my part for the easiest weld position then thats what I do. If you have no choice but to make a vertical up then understand that it's a hard weld to do and like Jody says"you can't make them all beautiful all the time. Aluminum is a challenge and a vertical weld is a total gauntlet throwdown. You're not alone in your frustration.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
CaseyCat89

Hey exnailpounder, my school doesn't really emphasis TIG much since they lost their primary TIG instructor. I'm the only student there this year who is going for the TIG general cert. They don't really require me to do all positions, but I wanted to learn anyway because I want my knowledge to be broad. I bought my own clamp for these positions. So I guess the answer is I don't necessarily have to be welding vertical up but I'm a perfectionist and I really enjoy welding aluminum, and I want to have at least a solid idea of what I'm doing.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Aside from looking pretty good, if you want "critique" then I'd say two things: by the time you reach the last 1/3 of your weld, the accumulated heat is building up a great deal more than you think. You can back off the pedal a little bit and not have to rush so much.

It looks like you get "out of position" by the final third which seems to be impacting your travel speed. Your dabs and travel spacing is getting much wider and separated, indicating your wrist/hand are tweaked more than you realize. Stop halfway. Re-positon your body, then resume. See if that makes a difference. Tying in is part of welding, and its something that also needs to be learned.

But I think you're doing pretty darn well from these pictures.
CaseyCat89

cj737 wrote:Aside from looking pretty good, if you want "critique" then I'd say two things: by the time you reach the last 1/3 of your weld, the accumulated heat is building up a great deal more than you think. You can back off the pedal a little bit and not have to rush so much.

It looks like you get "out of position" by the final third which seems to be impacting your travel speed. Your dabs and travel spacing is getting much wider and separated, indicating your wrist/hand are tweaked more than you realize. Stop halfway. Re-positon your body, then resume. See if that makes a difference. Tying in is part of welding, and its something that also needs to be learned.

Thanks for that, I will definitely practice stopping and starting. I started a new medication this past week and if I am tired it makes my hands shake, which doesn't help me much. Lol. I may start overhead, which looks a little easier, and maybe that can help me take a break from it for a while and learn a new position.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

What kind of school are you going to? Uh oh our one tig teacher is gone so we can't teach it? Do none of the other instructors know how to tig weld. That is one crappy set up. Most of the money in welding is stick and tig. Props to you for taking the initiative to learn and coming here for help. I guess you won't have to fight over aluminum stock or the tig welding machines.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick

cj737 wrote: It looks like you get "out of position" by the final third which seems to be impacting your travel speed. Your dabs and travel spacing is getting much wider and separated, indicating your wrist/hand are tweaked more than you realize. Stop halfway. Re-positon your body, then resume. See if that makes a difference. Tying in is part of welding, and its something that also needs to be learned.

This!! ^^

ABC= always be comfortable, as you gain more experience you'll be able to make better welds both when you're comfortable and not, even the best welders are challenged when out of position or reaching the limit of their "reach"

I don't know how long you've been doing this but I think you're well on your way... :P Try not to get frustrated as that only makes it worse, realize your doing good and just keep at it.
Richard
Website
CaseyCat89

Farmwelding wrote:What kind of school are you going to? Uh oh our one tig teacher is gone so we can't teach it? Do none of the other instructors know how to tig weld. That is one crappy set up. Most of the money in welding is stick and tig. Props to you for taking the initiative to learn and coming here for help. I guess you won't have to fight over aluminum stock or the tig welding machines.
Yeah, it's kind of a messed up situation, and I kind of got screwed. When I started school, I was under the wing of the TIG instructor who was amazing and he was helping me through the SMAW and wire feed processes at the time. Literally the week I was supposed to start TIG, he was fired by the new Dean of the school for reasons they wouldn't disclose. After talking with the instructor privately, it turns out that the Dean had it out for him and fired him for a "miscommunication" related to scheduling. They guy had been there for almost 10 years, apparently the Dean did not like the TIG instructor for whatever reason. I complained to the school like crazy and was very pissed. For a while there was only one instructor who was overwhelmed, and he is not a TIG welder (I'm a better Tigger than he is!) They replaced the fired teacher with another instructor who is also a good TIG welder but he's just not at the same level in terms of instruction.

So I have to make due with what I have. I'm nearly done with the program and just trying to take advantage of the equipment at the school and get my general cert.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

could just be the picture but it seems you
start to loose your focus on torch angel
and start to favor the right side.
just looking as HAZ.
cb
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

CaseyCat89 wrote:Hey exnailpounder, my school doesn't really emphasis TIG much since they lost their primary TIG instructor. I'm the only student there this year who is going for the TIG general cert. They don't really require me to do all positions, but I wanted to learn anyway because I want my knowledge to be broad. I bought my own clamp for these positions. So I guess the answer is I don't necessarily have to be welding vertical up but I'm a perfectionist and I really enjoy welding aluminum, and I want to have at least a solid idea of what I'm doing.
Wow...you got the shit end of the stick, didn't you? Bravo for sticking it out! There are plenty of good welders around here that will help you so don't despair. You have a ways to go but your welds look good. You definitely have a great start. Vertical tig is tough so don't get bummed if you don't get it right away...Hell your weld probably look better than what I could do right now. Watch Jody's videos and lets get you trained 8-)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:08 am

If you can use bigger coupons on like 3 inch. I don't like welding 6061 either if you can get your hands on some 5052 it'll weld better. Your welds are looking good though just takes practice.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

motox wrote:could just be the picture but it seems you
start to loose your focus on torch angel
and start to favor the right side.
just looking as HAZ.
cb
^This

Its easy to favor a side on a fillet weld and not realize you weren't quite centered even on flat. Having to reposition as you go uphill probably exaggerates that. I don't weld much better on awkward welds like that but at least you have enough heat to tie in the sides, that seems to be the usual problem. May or may not help but if I have a tricky weld where I can do it on one shot or slide along easily I try and hold the torch at the back of the handle so smaller changes translate to larger movements at the tungsten and also prop on your elbow rather than palm or tig finger, then your not so reliant on moving your hold hand if that makes any sense.
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

This is slightly off topic, but I think you deserve the comment.

It really doesn't matter what school, what instruction, or what program you attend. The extent and quality of your education will always depend upon you. You can extract everything you need from the worst school. True, you may not have access to the best equipment and what not, but that's experience not education. Learn "how" to do, or "how" to think, and "how" to learn. Never learn "what" to think, or "what" to do. If you rely on that, then you will always encounter a situation that wasn't covered in school and you will lack the tools or mentality to solve arising problems.

Given your individual efforts to undertake more than you're being taught speaks volumes about who you are. Your determination to improve and not be satisfied is the hallmark of craftsman, raised with pride, living with integrity. Keep that and foster it. It is these traits that will get you hired, keep you employed, and make you successful in any endeavor. Maybe not "wealthy" but rich but yards over the guy who shows up, throws up, and never steps up.

TIG welding (like all other skills) is learned with hood time, mentoring, and lots and lots of practice. It's admirable that you speak out to ask for help when you feel you've hit a wall. Everyone does until they learn the next aspect or technique to get them over the hump. We practice what we know, and what we are good at, not what we should or where we suck. If you have flat T with aluminum down, switch hands with your torch and start again. Being able to weld with either hand, in all positions is something I dare say less than 10% of professional welders can truly do. Its not always needed, but when it is, the guy who can, is "the guy" who gets the call next time.

You've got my respect Young Man, so please keep up the diligence and effort until you are satisfied with the outcome :)
CaseyCat89

cj737 wrote:This is slightly off topic, but I think you deserve the comment.

It really doesn't matter what school, what instruction, or what program you attend. The extent and quality of your education will always depend upon you. You can extract everything you need from the worst school. True, you may not have access to the best equipment and what not, but that's experience not education. Learn "how" to do, or "how" to think, and "how" to learn. Never learn "what" to think, or "what" to do. If you rely on that, then you will always encounter a situation that wasn't covered in school and you will lack the tools or mentality to solve arising problems.

Given your individual efforts to undertake more than you're being taught speaks volumes about who you are. Your determination to improve and not be satisfied is the hallmark of craftsman, raised with pride, living with integrity. Keep that and foster it. It is these traits that will get you hired, keep you employed, and make you successful in any endeavor. Maybe not "wealthy" but rich but yards over the guy who shows up, throws up, and never steps up.

TIG welding (like all other skills) is learned with hood time, mentoring, and lots and lots of practice. It's admirable that you speak out to ask for help when you feel you've hit a wall. Everyone does until they learn the next aspect or technique to get them over the hump. We practice what we know, and what we are good at, not what we should or where we suck. If you have flat T with aluminum down, switch hands with your torch and start again. Being able to weld with either hand, in all positions is something I dare say less than 10% of professional welders can truly do. Its not always needed, but when it is, the guy who can, is "the guy" who gets the call next time.

You've got my respect Young Man, so please keep up the diligence and effort until you are satisfied with the outcome :)
Thank you! That really means a lot to me. I struggle a lot with my own learning and I criticize myself heavily if I'm not doing well. I'm the only female student in my class who TIGs, and I just love it. I strive to be perfect (maybe not as good as Jody!). I try to be a sponge and learn everything I can, school or otherwise. Thank you for your words of encouragement!
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

I am also learning the skills for aluminum (just an old fart hobby welder here) and I have not perfected walking the cup upward in vertical but do find a slight sweeping motion on a inside fillet helps me, as well as guiding my tig finger on backside of piece like Jody does. Your welds look fine to me and practice will only improve the spacing of the dabs. This was a vertical up weld. On a good day no shaking LOL.
Attachments
Aluminum T joint 1.JPG
Aluminum T joint 1.JPG (36.2 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

bruce991 wrote:I am also learning the skills for aluminum (just an old fart hobby welder here) and I have not perfected walking the cup upward in vertical but do find a slight sweeping motion on a inside fillet helps me, as well as guiding my tig finger on backside of piece like Jody does. Your welds look fine to me and practice will only improve the spacing of the dabs. This was a vertical up weld. On a good day no shaking LOL.
Wow, you must be an "old Fart" from the date on the photo you are nine months ahead of the rest of us. HAHA. Just kidding-no offense intended.

I too am practicing vertical up but I am focusing on lap joints it that position. I will be watching this thread for any tips if that s okay.
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
bruce991

Jakedaawg wrote:
bruce991 wrote:I am also learning the skills for aluminum (just an old fart hobby welder here) and I have not perfected walking the cup upward in vertical but do find a slight sweeping motion on a inside fillet helps me, as well as guiding my tig finger on backside of piece like Jody does. Your welds look fine to me and practice will only improve the spacing of the dabs. This was a vertical up weld. On a good day no shaking LOL.
Wow, you must be an "old Fart" from the date on the photo you are nine months ahead of the rest of us. HAHA. Just kidding-no offense intended.

I too am practicing vertical up but I am focusing on lap joints it that position. I will be watching this thread for any tips if that s okay.
Wise ass,you win the prize for noticing LOL for some reason my camera sets date D/M/Y in that order which always raises questions.
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

Must just be that we are michiganders.
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

That is not bad at all.

I hate doing vertical up on Aluminum, its just plain uncomfortable all the way and when the drop of molten aluminum lands right in your palm, love that.

Anyways, looks like you just need practice, its really not bad at all, thicker material will tend to act slightly different but that looks like a decent weld right there.

I think practice will do it for you, not much else to say.

Sucks that you got screwed over on your TIG teacher, maybe he built a nice coffee table for the Dean's wife and the Dean got all bent backwards over it......
if there's a welder, there's a way
bruce991

Jakedaawg wrote:Must just be that we are michiganders.
Yup the great mitten state.
    Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:08 am

Here's a pic of what I was talking about with 6061 vs other types.
On the left is a piece of 6061 and the right a piece of 5052.
If you can I suggest 5052 or similar and not 6061 and larger coupons to help with heat saturation.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk