Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
hypforlife32
    Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:11 pm

Whats up guys, I have tig welding stainless before but only in small automotive applications but looking to take it further. I am looking into to start purging my stainless and use it more then mild steel for hot sides or exhaust. I have two argon bottles, one 330cf, and the other 80cf. I only have one regulator. Should i get a 2nd regulator or get a flow meter? I usually use the big bottle for home and the small bottle to be on the move depending on what people need done locally. do i just run a barb ffitting off the reg/flow? Waht size line? or vacc hose? Could i possibly use rubber gloves or tape to purge? (im cheap...i know). i will be doing sizes from probably 1inch to 4 inch and a lot in between. Any help is great help! Thanks guys
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I use a second regulator with a flow ball indicator. I have an old argon hose that got cut that I tape into place.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
wasted welder
    Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:25 am

i made a T coming off my argon hose on my bottle. one goes to my torch and the other goes to a valve with a hose coming off of it. if i need to purge a tube i watch my flow meter when i crack the valve a little to make sure the gas coming out of the torch is fine. not super fancy but it works well.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I see regs on Craigslist all the time. I have a separate bottle and reg for purging and it sure makes life easier.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

At work we used synflex gray hose and duct tape or aluminum foil to hold in place, dual regulator with ball column gauge
hypforlife32
    Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:11 pm

wasted welder wrote:i made a T coming off my argon hose on my bottle. one goes to my torch and the other goes to a valve with a hose coming off of it. if i need to purge a tube i watch my flow meter when i crack the valve a little to make sure the gas coming out of the torch is fine. not super fancy but it works well.

Does it mess up your flow at all? Do you know how much argon your putting into the what your workpiece? or just letting it flow at a slow rate?
wasted welder
    Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:25 am

hypforlife32 wrote:
wasted welder wrote:i made a T coming off my argon hose on my bottle. one goes to my torch and the other goes to a valve with a hose coming off of it. if i need to purge a tube i watch my flow meter when i crack the valve a little to make sure the gas coming out of the torch is fine. not super fancy but it works well.

Does it mess up your flow at all? Do you know how much argon your putting into the what your workpiece? or just letting it flow at a slow rate?

if i want 20 cfh from my torch and 10 cfh from the backing hose i i set the regulator up to handle that draw. the hose coming off the t that goes to the valve is smaller also. it seems to work pretty well i haven't had any problems doing it like that. maybe if you had a huge project it wouldn't be the best. but for small things or a batch of tubes here and there it seems to work fine.
    Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:45 am

If it was me i would get a dual flow regulator. you will only need to use one bottle on the road or at home. I use HAVC tape that has higher temperature rating then the cheep stuff. I tape off my ends and punch a small hole in it to feed the hose into. I then tape the hose to the tape I used to cover the end with.
Attachments
HONDAMANI.jpg
HONDAMANI.jpg (49.95 KiB) Viewed 543 times