It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:01 pm Advanced search

Custom Stainless Computer Case (Help)

Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

Re: Custom Stainless Computer Case (Help)

Postby 408cheytac » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:29 pm

Thank you for the info I think I found my key setup. First I added a makeshift gas dam that makes a valley where I can contain the gas. I haven't been able to fine tune the pulse function to my pace so for now I will just stick to flexing the pedal. That gave me much more heat control and a better looking weld. Then I added a piece of aluminum angle to act as a jig for the stainless sheets and it came out pretty damn well. Next time I get a chance I will add pictures of the test welds. Now as long as I dont F*** up the actual project I think I will be in the clear and pictures will follow.

Last question.... I have never intentionally tried to preserve discoloration on any stainless work so do you think it would be a good idea to maybe put some clear coat over the stainless to "preserve it"?

Thanks!
408cheytac

Postby cj737 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:27 am

The color will remain unless you subject the case to extreme temps, or brush it with a stainless brush to remove the coloring and polish it up. Because stainless doesn't oxidize, you don't need to "clear coat" it to preserve it.

The best thing you can do to help yourself get good color along the bead (including your setup changes) is to do short runs. Force yourself to stop and let the pieces cool. The accumulating heat will change the color the longer you weld and the last segment will be much hotter than your beginning.

Do you have any intention to weld the inside corner? Its probably completely unnecessary, but if you do, understand that heat will effect the color of the outside bead. Just stating it in case you were thinking it, and had not considered it.
cj737
Heavy Hitter

Postby Poland308 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:30 pm

I used to do SS floor sump tanks. They were always 16 or 18 ga. Those were outside corners no filler no pulse scratch start. I used to like to over lap one side all the way to the edge of the other sheet. Just focused the heat on the overlapping side and it would melt in a nice rounded corner.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby AndersK » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:54 pm

Josh, sounds pretty much how I did the tank I posted some pages back. Works very well when fit is good.

Max, thanks. I'll try those settings next time I'm on some SS. You did use filler on the last post right? ,040 I guess?
AndersK
Weldmonger

Postby AndersK » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:46 pm

5th Street Fab wrote:
.....nope I didn't use any filler

.... Which is why I said it's easier to get good color without filler.

I don't argue about that, have the same opinion based on my own experience on thin SS. Not been using pulse much but want to get better understanding of it's capabilities.

Know the camera can play some tricks with the eye sometimes but your beads looked too high for not using filler.
AndersK
Weldmonger

Postby 5th Street Fab » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:54 pm

AndersK wrote:
5th Street Fab wrote:
.....nope I didn't use any filler

.... Which is why I said it's easier to get good color without filler.

I don't argue about that, have the same opinion based on my own experience on thin SS. Not been using pulse much but want to get better understanding of it's capabilities.

Know the camera can play some tricks with the eye sometimes but your beads looked too high for not using filler.

I think its just because it's thin. I'll run one with filler and show it.

Personally I think there's a time and place for every technique. Pulse is nice because it's fast and helps bite the edges. Manual pulse is nice for deeper pen., more control and nice bead appearance. I use filler for more critical things like brackets and mounts. Anything over 16 gauge I'd probably use filler and not fusion.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
5th Street Fab
Workhorse

Postby 408cheytac » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:00 pm

Here are the test pieces I have the the one farthest to the right is just me controlling the foot pedal on an aluminium chill block the middle is the same thing but with gas dams and the furthest one is everything but with pulse ( not set right). Thank you for all the help!
Attachments
20170310_194345.jpg
20170310_194345.jpg (26.39 KiB) Viewed 104 times
20170310_194430.jpg
20170310_194430.jpg (31.36 KiB) Viewed 104 times
408cheytac

Postby 5th Street Fab » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:36 pm

408cheytac wrote:Here are the test pieces I have the the one farthest to the right is just me controlling the foot pedal on an aluminium chill block the middle is the same thing but with gas dams and the furthest one is everything but with pulse ( not set right). Thank you for all the help!

Looking much better! Middle one looks real nice!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
5th Street Fab
Workhorse

Postby Farmwelding » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:52 pm

Thank you Steve- i just wanted to take the time to say I appreciate all the work you do to moderate this forum! Keep up the good work sir-everything you do is appreciated here.
I am very interested to see how this build comes out to. I may have to build one someday if I decide to get a laptop or put it to another use.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby Otto Nobedder » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:03 pm

Since I see all parties have seemed to agree to a quiet resolution, I've cleaned up what I think are the last remnants of the S#!tstorm.

We'll just let sleeping dogs lie...

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

PreviousNext

Return to Tig Welding - Tig Welding Aluminum - Tig Welding Techniques - Aluminum Tig Welding