Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
sru_tx
    Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:53 pm

It's been a while since I've posted any of my work. I've been busy working on my furniture design, all in steel up to this point.

I am doing a small job out of aluminum and have been working on my skills. I was having particular trouble tapering off at the end of a weld without leaving a crater. I kept finding the torch cutting out too soon. I'm using my AHP Alphatig200x and the supplied pedal. I opened the pedal up and made a few measurements. I could hear the microswitch clicking on/off but could see (and measure with a meter) that the slide potentiometer was not at the end of its travel. I ovalled the mounting holes for the pot and switch so I could adjust their positions and reassembled. After a little bit of adjustments with the screws and a little bending I could hear the switch click JUST as the pot started to move. Reassembled and voila! a HUGE difference in tapering off. If you're having troubles with your pedal and don't have the money to buy a nicer one, then I suggest opening the pedal up.

I'm looking for a bit of feedback.The first pic of an aluminum piece for the job. 2" Sq tubing, 0.125" wall 6061 capped with a 2" square tubing, 0.25" wall. Welding the thick cap to the thin was tricky. Machine settings were pedal control, 170 amps, 30% balance (chinese machine), 50 Hz (for better penetration). I know 170 amps doesn't meet the 1 amp/0.001" of material but the end cap is fairly small and I'm biasing the heat towards the thicker cap. The second pic is of some Y pieces, all out of 2" sq, 0.125" wall. I'm open for feedback and suggestions. Or should I be embarrassed to sell such work?
IMGP0090.JPG
IMGP0090.JPG (60.01 KiB) Viewed 925 times
IMGP0085.JPG
IMGP0085.JPG (49.82 KiB) Viewed 925 times
Last edited by sru_tx on Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Figuring out what I want to be when I grow up.

Better to be a "Learn it all" than a "Know it all"
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Looks good! Really like your chair design. I was making furniture a few years ago and did pretty well with it.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
sru_tx

thanks exnailpounder. Judging from your handle, I should have chosen "exenginerd" or "exelectronicsgenius" LOl.

I'm enjoying the furniture aspect. Most pieces start as a learning exercise to take a hand sketch to sketchup model. I then go to my garage to figure how in the heck I'm going to make it. Work on my welding skills. And then I finally build it. Each piece bumps me further along in my skillsets.
a few more of my pieces:
My take on mid-century modern
My take on mid-century modern
IMGP0059.JPG (24.73 KiB) Viewed 877 times
IMGP0114.JPG
IMGP0114.JPG (45.66 KiB) Viewed 877 times
purpleheart_oblique.JPG
purpleheart_oblique.JPG (169.41 KiB) Viewed 877 times

exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Wow...very nice work! I am glad to be an ex-carpenter and the handle was all I could think of when I signed up. I did well with furniture until the store I was selling out of went under. I got lot's of ideas from etsy and other sites. Be careful posting too many oics of your stuff or I'll steal your idea and you'll see my version of your furniture in the "welding projects" thread :lol: Seriously though...nice work...very tasteful
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Very, very nicely styled. I like your take on furniture a lot. :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

That mid-century modern looks like it came right out of my living room when I was a kid. All it needs is a Fischer receiver and a Dual turn table on top!

Really nice!

PeteM wrote:That mid-century modern looks like it came right out of my living room when I was a kid. All it needs is a Fischer receiver and a Dual turn table on top!

Really nice!
or a Marantz receiver and pioneer cassette deck :lol:
Richard
Website
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

sru_tx
how did you get the radius in the legs.
they are square tubing correct?
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
sru_tx

thanks! Too bad I unloaded my Pioneer gear years ago... I think a tasteful tube amp would be good.

Motox, which radius, the diagonal coverlet facing in? that was plasma cut and fitted. square tubing? in some cases, yes and in some cases, no. I have a pile of test pieces figuring out how to make them. :lol:

Elderberry
    Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:10 am

Really creativity, I just love it. I am trying to make the same side table here in Australia but still not successful. I made but couldnt get the same finishing! Any help, I am not able to make the sharp edges!
Buy Huali Furniture for office and home online in Australia.
sru_tx

Elderberry, which sharp corners? The wooden corners? Tablesaw cutting 45 degree corners. I put blue painters' tape along the cutline to limit chipping of the veneer. Biscuits to align glue up. Walnut plywood has very thing veneer so sanding is touchy to not round off and go through the veneer. Hope this helps.

steve