Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Gmc427
    Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:05 pm

Hi, new to forum,looking forward to picking out up some skills and info on how to be a competent welder, can somebody tell me if putting a knife switch on the earth for a lift arc machine would be the same as breaking the torch lead as Jody does with his foot pedal? Thanks and regards George
Keith_J
    Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:55 am

The switch will arc. Won't last long. Remote machines have both switch and potentiometer so as the control is turned off, the current goes to a minimum. Inverter machines use IGBT (a type of transistor or electronic switch) so arcing isn't an issue. Yes, they get hot.

Breaking the workpiece connection under load could be dramatic. As in a nasty arc flash.
Gmc427

Hi thanks for reply,I have a inverter machine,so ok to break earth,or is handpiece better?regards
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

I made a wooden foot pedal like Jody's, I use mine with an inverter on the torch side. The work lead "earth" side would work just as well. You won't hurt the power source either way,
Gmc427

Thanks for info,I'll give it a crack
Stewcrane
    Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:39 pm

I want to make a Wood Board/Knife Switch Foot Pedal (simple 220V On-Off Switch) like Jody built, for Lift Arc on my converting Stick welder.
I have the high Freq Box. Geting an Air Cooled torch. Need the foot switch to start weld and shut it back off at the end of the bead while allowing the gas to still flow.

What kind of knife switch did you buy/use?

Any pictures would be VERY helpful.

Stew