Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

My welder arrived Monday, and I finally got to fool with it tonight. I am trying to assemble the torch. I have a stupid question.

The torch is a size 17, and it came with three collets. The first tungsten I ground was 1/8", so I figured I would assemble the torch with that, using the biggest collet. When I tried to do it, the tungsten fit in the collet fine, but it would not go through the bore of the collet body.

What's going on? I just assumed that three collets with the same OD meant all would work with the same collet body, but I don't think I can get the tungsten through the body without drilling it out.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

Is is a lens or gas saver style. You need to have the correct collet size as well as gas lens.
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde

It's the basic torch and cups that came with the welder. Not a gas lens. The collets are fine. It's the collet body that's small. It will work with 1/16 and 3/32, but it's too tight for 1/8.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

The collet body also unscrews. It' has to match the same size as the collet.
Attachments
SR17_prts.jpg
SR17_prts.jpg (46.88 KiB) Viewed 818 times
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Chips O'Toole wrote:My welder arrived Monday, and I finally got to fool with it tonight. I am trying to assemble the torch. I have a stupid question.

The torch is a size 17, and it came with three collets. The first tungsten I ground was 1/8", so I figured I would assemble the torch with that, using the biggest collet. When I tried to do it, the tungsten fit in the collet fine, but it would not go through the bore of the collet body.

What's going on? I just assumed that three collets with the same OD meant all would work with the same collet body, but I don't think I can get the tungsten through the body without drilling it out.
It could be the wrong sized collet for the tungsten, but you aren't supposed to drill anything. My collets are marked for each size up near the top.

One way to assemble is to remove backing cap/tungsten cover and insert collet, then tungsten, then tighten down the back cap/tungsten cover. On mine (cheap abicore binzel that comes with chinese machines) the back cap tightens and snugs up the collet and tungsten. If the back cap is on it will be hard or impossible to put the collet and/or tungsten in.

The collet fits fine. The collet BODY is too tight.
PeteM

Does the collet for the 1/8 tungsten fit into the collet body?

Chips O'Toole wrote:The collet fits fine. The collet BODY is too tight.
For any given size tungsten you'll need a collet body and collet for that size, if your 1/8" tungsten is too big (in diameter)for the collet body then the collet body is for a smaller tungsten.
Richard
Website
PeteM

If this makes it easier, (please pardon the multiple posts)

Binzel torch disassembled:
0310172209.jpg
0310172209.jpg (27.62 KiB) Viewed 769 times
PeteM

Step 1: attach this item to front of torch
0310172210.jpg
0310172210.jpg (28.17 KiB) Viewed 768 times
PeteM

Step 2: Insert collet through rear of torch (hehehe)

0310172211.jpg
0310172211.jpg (29.95 KiB) Viewed 686 times
PeteM

Step 3: Push tungsten through collet
0310172211a.jpg
0310172211a.jpg (29.13 KiB) Viewed 686 times
PeteM

Step 4: Cup of your choice on the front, adjust stick out a little, place back cap on the back. Snug down back cap to tighten up the tungsten so it doesn't get crazy on you.

0310172213.jpg
0310172213.jpg (26.57 KiB) Viewed 686 times
PeteM

I'd add step 5 and say Weld: and add a picture of some weld prn, but honestly mine just ain't that good.

PeteM wrote:Does the collet for the 1/8 tungsten fit into the collet body?
The 1/8" collet fits the collet body just fine. That's why I thought it was weird that the tungsten would not go through the collet body.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Its the hole in the end that is the different size,
PeteM

Chips O'Toole wrote:
PeteM wrote:Does the collet for the 1/8 tungsten fit into the collet body?
The 1/8" collet fits the collet body just fine. That's why I thought it was weird that the tungsten would not go through the collet body.
When they're brand new, before everything gets hot and cold a few times, they can be a little snug. I don't know if anybody does it any differently, but I find it helps to do them in that order so that you can give the tungsten a good shove when it needs it.

Hope that helped, and happy tiggin'.
CanMoulder
    Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:02 pm

each size tungsten has a specific collet body size
so if you change the tungsten size you have to change the collet and the body
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... nWLQPL.jpg

also the paint on the end of the tungsten can be to large if trying to slide in from the open end

Kevin