Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
pavetim
    Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:10 pm

I just stopped there and grabbed some diamond wheels
Keith_J
    Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:55 am

What I've learned is snapping can induce fractures that pop the electrode at the worst time.. Like on 100% RT welds.

Tungsten electrodes are made from tungsten powder that has been sintered into rod that has nearly the density of elemental tungsten. While it seems a solid, it behaves more like a ceramic.
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Keith_J wrote:What I've learned is snapping can induce fractures that pop the electrode at the worst time.. Like on 100% RT welds.

Tungsten electrodes are made from tungsten powder that has been sintered into rod that has nearly the density of elemental tungsten. While it seems a solid, it behaves more like a ceramic.
Interesting. That would go towards the explanation I was given about one reason some tungstens are total crap, in as much as the additive elements are not distributed in a fully homogeneous mix.
Keith_J
    Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:55 am

Certainly..I've been meaning to check electrode density on my lab scale and see how close to the known density of pure W they are..of course this would be comparing same types of differing brands.

This all started when one of my sons expressed interest in having a solid lump of tungsten and he found tungsten spheres online..only they advertised density of 11 to 15 grams per cubic centimeter. Pure tungsten is close to gold in density, 19.3 g/cc.

What does this mean for welding? Plenty. Voids mean lower current capacity and potential cracking, contamination and ugly performance.

Not to sound xenophobic but most electrodes are now Chinese.
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Keith_J wrote:Certainly..I've been meaning to check electrode density on my lab scale and see how close to the known density of pure W they are..of course this would be comparing same types of differing brands.

This all started when one of my sons expressed interest in having a solid lump of tungsten and he found tungsten spheres online..only they advertised density of 11 to 15 grams per cubic centimeter. Pure tungsten is close to gold in density, 19.3 g/cc.

What does this mean for welding? Plenty. Voids mean lower current capacity and potential cracking, contamination and ugly performance.

Not to sound xenophobic but most electrodes are now Chinese.
It's not xenophobic, it's a fact that poor tungsten performance has only reared its head since the majority were manufactured in China. Here's a reply I received from a reputable US supplier.

" I agree with you regarding the tungstens coming out of China. Most of the ones on the market today are not very good quality. I have personally been to the factory that supplies our tungstens just to make sure they are following our quality requirements. Most companies don't do that. They just buy from the lowest price person of the day hawking tungsten electrodes."

Which explains a lot.
pavetim

What are good ones then? Weldcraft, ck arc-zone?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I buy the cheap ones from the LWS. Usually (anchor?) or some other kind. Only ever got bad containers/batches a couple of times. Once was a batch that split randomly. Threw em out. And the other time was an odd OD. they were under 1/8 and wouldn't stay tight in a collet. Threw em out. I've bought name brand stuff too. But never really noticed enough of a diferance to say I'd only use one brand.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

In Australia, the thoriated ones snap the cleanest, on the edge of a sharp bench with a good solid hit. We recently changed to grey ones (ceriated) they don't snap very well at all, but turns out they were terrible quality and wouldn't hold a point. Then we changed again to Rare Earth ones (turquoise) these snap easily on the bench again.

Mick
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

pavetim wrote:What are good ones then? Weldcraft, ck arc-zone?
Wolfram. Made in Germany. Twice the price of Chiwanese but worth it IMO...Arc Zone.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
pavetim

Yeah I didn't realize till I started researching but I read the USA isn't making tungsten anymore, they are stock pilling it for the future so most of them are made with Chinese materials. Also read that top quality ones are Wolfram, Sylvania, CK worldwide, Weldcraft, Diamond Ground. There maybe others but that's just what was in the article. I may try some Wolframs or get the Diamond thoriated Cryogenic treated one. I now cryo treatment works on engine parts and brake discs so can't hurt on tungsten. Jody should do a video on those exotic ones.
pavetim

Just called Diamond ground and he is sending me free same,of dgp 2% thoriated , wolfram 2% thoriated, cryo treated thoriated and tri mix
AKmud
    Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 am

I lightly chuck mine up in my vise and tap it with a hammer. Breaks off clean 99% of the time. Then I use a cordless drill on low speed to grind the point with a bench grinder.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

pavetim wrote:Just called Diamond ground and he is sending me free same,of dgp 2% thoriated , wolfram 2% thoriated, cryo treated thoriated and tri mix
Let us know what you think. I had some Wolfram Thoriated that came with a tig welder I used to own and I thought it held up way better than anything I have used so far. I don't tig weld all the time so I can get by with cheaper tungsten but I am tempted to get some Wolfram 2% lanthanated for aluminum and SS.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

i use Wolfram 2% lanthanated for everything.
no complaints. been using it for years
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:45 am

I use a 3 inch ceramic tile cutting diamond wheel. The edge is great for cutting and the flat surface is great for sharping. Once one side wears out you can flip it to get more life out of it. I used one for a year until I dropped my die grinder and bent the wheel.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8405953e

motox wrote:i use Wolfram 2% lanthanated for everything.
no complaints. been using it for years
craig
Where do you buy yours? Arc Zone wants $75 for 2% Lan 3/32 ten pack!
Richard
Website