Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I would grind out the crack almost all the way through. Then weld one pass with filler. This first pass will likely be full of porosity and flakes of junk. But you grind out some of that nastyness and do the same thing over again. After one or two or three times most of the oxidation and contaminates will be gone. Then you have a solid base that will allow you to build on till you fill it out.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

...Or, you grind it open, preheat with Propane to purge impurities, then clean with Acetone and Stainless brush. Then weld it up. Same process I've used heaps of times welding Jon boats impregnated with alkaline heavy water and mud. Its not fun, its not easy, but its very doable. I have never used He on these jobs, just straight Ar, though I have something coming up I might just whack it with... :idea:
cherwolf
    Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:13 am

Thanks for insight, glad that I didn`t agree back then to use mig (Lincoln magnum I guess) that boss showed me and weld aluminium. Only thing I knew back then, that for AL welding you need round rollers and special liner. I would make a great hole in that tipper. :lol:
Gon-Welding951
    Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:49 am

Hi guys I'm new to the forum but not new to welding. I have been welding for a couple aerospace companies in Southern California. Anyways yes you can weld aluminum in DCEN with 100 percent helium high purity grade not balloon grade. If you know how to weld it it comes out just as nice as ac or even nicer, especially if it is really thick aluminum like 3/8 or thicker.

Gon-Welding951 wrote:Hi guys I'm new to the forum but not new to welding. I have been welding for a couple aerospace companies in Southern California. Anyways yes you can weld aluminum in DCEN with 100 percent helium high purity grade not balloon grade. If you know how to weld it it comes out just as nice as ac or even nicer, especially if it is really thick aluminum like 3/8 or thicker.
Welcome to the forum, is this process used at your facility? Got any photos you can post?
Richard
Website
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

LtBadd wrote:
Gon-Welding951 wrote:Hi guys I'm new to the forum but not new to welding. I have been welding for a couple aerospace companies in Southern California. Anyways yes you can weld aluminum in DCEN with 100 percent helium high purity grade not balloon grade. If you know how to weld it it comes out just as nice as ac or even nicer, especially if it is really thick aluminum like 3/8 or thicker.
Welcome to the forum, is this process used at your facility? Got any photos you can post?
Yeah! Pictures or it didn't happen....
if there's a welder, there's a way
Gon-Welding951

Haha yeah here are a few jobs I did with DCEN, it's my first time posting pics. so hopefully they show up. And yes where I currently work we use DCEN.
Attachments
IMG_5532.JPG
IMG_5532.JPG (51.82 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
IMG_5643.JPG
IMG_5643.JPG (59.91 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
IMG_5785.JPG
IMG_5785.JPG (39.62 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

You and the shop you work at rock. You've set the benchmark very high.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Now THAT is aluminum welding! One question..what are those?
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Pretty darn cool Gon-Welding951 :D

Since the amperage is dramatically less with DCEN on aluminum, mind telling what amps (approximately) those were welded at for reference?
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Very nice work ;)
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225
Gon-Welding951

Thank you guys. Usually on 1/4- 3/8 around 205 amps anything thicker like 1/2- 2" 210- 250 amps. My favorite set up is a 3/32 red band tungsten #7 gas lens and 40- 60 cfh on helium.
cherwolf
    Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:13 am

What is the max thickness of Al you can weld with 160amps DC? (curious `bout this machine Migatronic Rallymig 161i)
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Gon-Welding951 wrote:Thank you guys. Usually on 1/4- 3/8 around 205 amps anything thicker like 1/2- 2" 210- 250 amps. My favorite set up is a 3/32 red band tungsten #7 gas lens and 40- 60 cfh on helium.
Thanks for the info - pretty cool process :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.