It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:44 pm Advanced search

Welding aluminum

Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

Welding aluminum

Postby oman1tig » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:26 pm

Hello Gang,

Am trying to weld aluminum with a Syncrowave 250 having some trouble.

Just for practice on a 1/4 stock
Have my amperage set at 130

Why is it doing this?
Attachments
20170316_152110(1).jpg
20170316_152110(1).jpg (29.06 KiB) Viewed 322 times
oman1tig

Re: Welding aluminum

Postby cj737 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:41 pm

You need at least 50 more amps to start with. Aluminum requires a lot more heat than carbon steel. Also, once you establish a puddle on the aluminum, dropping in cold filler wire will chill your puddle too quickly. Hold the fill rod near the Argon to "pre-heat" it on the first go, then try to keep it close to the puddle to prevent it from melting back and becoming contaminated.

Lastly, rod angle is very finicky with aluminum welding. Cup as close to 90* as you can, and rod added from "ahead" of the puddle.
cj737
Ace

Postby Oscar » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:04 pm

A tungsten tip balls up because it is literally reaching it's melting point. When it melts, liquid tension within the molten metal causes it to assume a ball-shape, as with many room-temperature liquids. Certain tungsten alloys ball-up more than others. What kind of tungsten are you using? Is it 3/32?

Why it is melting so much we won't be able to accurately guess until you disclose all the details of your settings on your machine. Lots of unknowns you are leaving us with. :?:
HTP Invertig 221 DV w/ Arctic Chill cooler DV.
Millermatic 211 Inverter w/ Spoolmate-150
Eastwood Versacut 40A Plasma cutter
Oscar
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:06 pm

Oscar wrote:A tungsten tip balls up because it is literally reaching it's melting point. When it melts, liquid tension within the molten metal causes it to assume a ball-shape, as with many room-temperature liquids.

Why it is melting so much we won't be able to accurately guess until you disclose all the details of your settings on your machine.

Especially tungsten size and type.
Yeah but your amps a kind of low. I use around 120-130 on 1/8". You have proper gas flow as well with pure argon? Lack of gas or argon or some other contaminant may cause tungsten issues. Galvanized steel does some crazy stuff for instance.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything.
warning!! Bad English may be in post. It's off a phone/autocorrect. I've had teachers with worse spelling!
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby cj737 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:23 pm

Sorry, I completely mistook that picture as shot of your filler rod, not your tungsten :oops: Looks like your using a pure tungsten (green) on an inverter machine. Green works best on transformers, light blue (Lanthanated) works best on inverters. But my other post is relevant if you have those questions ;)
cj737
Ace

Postby Farmwelding » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:25 pm

cj737 wrote:Sorry, I completely mistook that picture as shot of your filler rod, not your tungsten :oops: Looks like your using a pure tungsten (green) on an inverter machine. Green works best on transformers, light blue (Lanthanated) works best on inverters. But my other post is relevant if you have those questions ;)

I thought syncrowave 250s were transformers? Maybe I'm wrong.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything.
warning!! Bad English may be in post. It's off a phone/autocorrect. I've had teachers with worse spelling!
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby exnailpounder » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:47 pm

Farmwelding wrote:
cj737 wrote:Sorry, I completely mistook that picture as shot of your filler rod, not your tungsten :oops: Looks like your using a pure tungsten (green) on an inverter machine. Green works best on transformers, light blue (Lanthanated) works best on inverters. But my other post is relevant if you have those questions ;)

I thought syncrowave 250s were transformers? Maybe I'm wrong.

You're not wrong. The 250 DX is an inverter. I used to have a transformer and I used Thoriated to weld AL and it worked great. Pure sucks.Why is the OP sending us a pic of his tungsten? Let's see the weld.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger

Postby Otto Nobedder » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:10 pm

No one has mentioned "balance". If you're welding at 50 amps, but your balance control is set at "3", you'll get this. The balance/dig control on a 250DX is confusing, to say the least. Set your balance to at least 7 for HFAC TIG aluminum. I prefer to spend a little more time cleaning and set the balance at "9".

Also, make sure your post-flow runs long enough for the tungsten to stop glowing before the gas quits. At least 10 seconds, and don't yank the torch away/wave it around until the gas quits.

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby 5th Street Fab » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:33 pm

I agree with Otto. It's more then likely balance. I turn mine all the way to 1 to ball the tungsten and that's what it does. When I'm welding it's 7-10. It does look like you have enough post flow. Still shiny. If your gonna be welding 1/4 you'd be happier with 1/8" tungsten. Also the 250s are still transformers our shop just picked up a new one last week but the 210s are inverters.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
5th Street Fab
Workhorse

Postby exnailpounder » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:26 am

I stand corrected. Thinking of the Dynesty line.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger

Next

Return to Tig Welding - Tig Welding Aluminum - Tig Welding Techniques - Aluminum Tig Welding