It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:33 am Advanced search

TIG Gas Flow Tester

Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

TIG Gas Flow Tester

Postby LtBadd » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:44 pm

The CK model seems silly expensive for such a device although I generally like their products. I do see the others available at almost 1/4 the cost.
Have never used one, although I can imagine it could be somewhat useful for precision work, or trouble shooting or maybe not.

Opinions?

ck-gftnew__96326_1449840687_1280_1280.jpg
ck-gftnew__96326_1449840687_1280_1280.jpg (12.31 KiB) Viewed 153 times
Richard

Please Note: This item ships in 2 boxes. In some cases, carrier may deliver 1st box before the 2nd.
LtBadd
Weldmonger

Re: TIG Gas Flow Tester

Postby noddybrian » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:17 pm

CK is crazy expensive here & really only they're superflex hoses are worth the extra - that one looks like a regular Ebay one with a sticker on so just buy a cheap one - yes they are worth having to check flow for those that can't do it old school by ear - half the issues that are gas related here would be resolved if people had one - they are generally not that accurate but give a fair guide to flow - probably more useful on Mig where almost no one has any sort of column flow gauge on the regulator - I lend mine out quite often to noobs trying to figure out what's wrong with they're machines.
noddybrian
Weldmonger

Postby AndersK » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:29 pm

They are good to have if you use an Y valve for root gas and you only have one flow meter on the regulator.
AndersK
Weldmonger

Postby Poland308 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:28 pm

Really good for trouble shooting. Or for checking if your regular setup is accurate.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby noddybrian » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:59 pm

The sort as pictured by OP is really not that accurate - really only suits a quick confirmation check at nozzle that you have gas flow & remember it's not even marked generally as to what gas / mixture the numbers are meant to represent - still a useful thing to have as it eliminates guess work but in no way replaces a decent brass one screwed to the regulator - they are so cheap now if you have a Y setup for blending you should have one on both bottles - if you can find one then a helium calibrated one is best on that gas as an argon / mix type will barely make the ball " quiver " when you have sufficient flow for most blend purposes - the best place really for a flow gauge is on the outlet of the machine especially if it uses standard 3/8" BSP connection for the torch - obviously not all do & some are dumb ass things like gas flow thru dinse etc - I leave one on the front connection of my Tig as well as one on the argon regulator & if blending one on the helium - it's just easier to see what is going on - too much gas & / or too much % helium can give weird troubles on some machines / torch combinations.
noddybrian
Weldmonger

Postby LtBadd » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:05 pm

I have a dual flow meter so I'm not winging it here, just curious what others are doing.
Richard

Please Note: This item ships in 2 boxes. In some cases, carrier may deliver 1st box before the 2nd.
LtBadd
Weldmonger

Postby MinnesotaDave » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:23 am

I use one on mig and tig - the one I have is accurate and matches my high quality flow meters.

Very useful for testing. When I use someone else's machine I use it to ensure the flow is correct relative to what I run in my shop.

They can show a leak by showing less flow than indicated back at the tank.
Three times I found one they were on a mig and were back at the gun connection.

On one tig setup I found the flow guage read much higher than it actually flowed - no leaks but had to be set wide open to flow 20 CFH.

It's this one, $34: http://www.netwelding.com/prod02.htm#WAT-PFM

There are cheaper ones out there as well.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger

Return to Tig Welding - Tig Welding Aluminum - Tig Welding Techniques - Aluminum Tig Welding