Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The LEL (Lower explosive limit) for hydrogen is 4% in atmosphere (20.9%oxygen at sea level). 5% in argon is a non-issue, as it's dispersal around the puddle much further dilutes it. It's not uncommon to have a slight "flare" around the cup when using up to 5% hydrogen, as it will still burn off once it meets oxygen while hot, but this is not a hazard. It's not unlike your butane lighter diffusing from pure butane to a mix that will burn in air a noticeable distance from the nozzle it comes from, and you're already looking at an arc of significantly high temperature.

Steve S
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

DrDogwood wrote:Oxy/Acetylene can be fun lol We Started with plastic oil cans quart then gallon then 2.5 gal then a 5 gallon pail and a 30 gallon drum. After we set off the 55 gallon drum we decided we had better quit before some one got hurt. It removed all the grass in a 20 foot circle and took several minutes for the lid to come back to the earth. Oh please don't anyone try that.
:shock: Was beer involved :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
DrDogwood wrote:Oxy/Acetylene can be fun lol We Started with plastic oil cans quart then gallon then 2.5 gal then a 5 gallon pail and a 30 gallon drum. After we set off the 55 gallon drum we decided we had better quit before some one got hurt. It removed all the grass in a 20 foot circle and took several minutes for the lid to come back to the earth. Oh please don't anyone try that.
What good story does not include beer. As the old saying goes, no good story started ¨I was eating this salad...¨
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Farmwelding wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:
What good story does not include beer. As the old saying goes, no good story started ¨I was eating this salad...¨
I hear that! Usually the trouble starts when you hear, "hold my beer" :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Ironically there looking at bringing back propane as a refrigerant in cooling systems. And most of the new blends use butane as a stabilizing agent to make it less explosive but slightly more flammable.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

The world is taking an interesting turn when putting explosive gasses in a system that compresses.

Might work okay and be better than destroying the oxone layer but still, you would think we could make some new refrigerant that was just plain perfect, but no.
if there's a welder, there's a way
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Olivero wrote:The world is taking an interesting turn when putting explosive gasses in a system that compresses.

Might work okay and be better than destroying the oxone layer but still, you would think we could make some new refrigerant that was just plain perfect, but no.
Ammonia is a perfectly good refrigerant. I have a few ammonia-cycle refrigerators that can keep my food frozen with barely more heat than a Bic Lighter makes.

Toxic as hell, in a leak, but that' s a local issue. No ozone issues, so the global warming folk should stay quiet.

Saw an awesome design that used solar power to drive an ammonia cycle, and barrels of brine to serve as a thermal storage mass to keep it cold when it's dark out. One was sized as air conditioning for a small space, the other as a freezer for long term cold storage. Expensive build, though.

Steve S
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Actually Amonia is classified under the same list of refrigerants that will soon be allowed for occupied spaces.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Put a flint lighter in a milk bottle and fill said bottle up with oxy/lpg or acet mix. put lid back on and the throw said bottle in the direction of the Jokee. The force of the bottle hitting the ground causes the flint lighter to spark. Note do not do this anywhere other than private property, as it will most likely get you fired, expelled and possibly blacklisted.