Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
smig
    Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:55 am

I have been using a Thunderbolt DC to practice scratch start tig. I am looking at buying a real tig machine. I found a 180SD locally that looks like it is in good shape. The serial number shows it was made about 2003. How much do these typically go for?

Would I be better off with a new inverter machine? Does the 180SD use dinse connectors?
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I am no expert in pricing, but I do know one very important thing is how hard it had been used. If the machine was used 60 hours a week welding on AC at 180 amps then k may be a little wary. If someone had used it in their garage only it is worth a little more. Do you know the person/company? Ask to weld either the machine before you buy it as well to double check how well it works. Another thing to is do you have the ability to move the thing around. At 224 pounds, it ain't no easy pick up by yourself. Other than that it seems like a nice machine. I've never heard of a 180 syncrowave before. But with dig and AC balance functions it seems nice and it is a syncrowave so that is a plus.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
smig
    Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:55 am

Actually, after looking at the duty cycle and limits of the machine, I am going to pass on the 180SD. The asking price is not much less than a new Lincoln 200 Square wave that it more capable.

I didn't realize how limited the 180SD was until I downloaded the manual.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

smig wrote:Actually, after looking at the duty cycle and limits of the machine, I am going to pass on the 180SD. The asking price is not much less than a new Lincoln 200 Square wave that it more capable.

I didn't realize how limited the 180SD was until I downloaded the manual.
Well-at least you get a warranty no matter what with the sqaurewave-and some pulse of you get good and need it later.

Nick
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick