Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jwinder
    Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:38 pm

I was using a 3/32 Purple electrode. I don't remember what purple means. My stick out was probably 1/2 inch. Long enough to get into the corner, but no longer. From all of the comments, it should like it may still be too short.
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Welcome, I have the same machine. You mentioned the problem started when welding the square tubing, I've had problems when I've left cutting fluid inside the tubing. Even if you didn't cut it, somebody did, and that oil/fluid can either vaporize or be drawn into the weld by capillary action when it gets hot. So if the problem is occurring near an end of the tubing you might try cleaning the inside of the tube with some kind of solvent or in a parts washer if you have one.
I ditto the comments about changing to gas lens, it's like night and day. You can also bump the pedal right before you're ready to weld without actually striking an arc. Then hold the torch in the weld area for a few seconds before you strike the arc. This will give you a little extra insurance that you're getting plenty of argon coverage at the start of the weld.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I've welded on lots of contaminated pipe. Due to necessity. And that is what it looks like. Might be oil or something else. I usually weld it ( looking like that) grind out the sections that are holy. Weld over that with a little extra heat. And repeat until it welds nice.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
jwinder

I ran around today at lunch and picked up a gas lens and a 6, 7, and 8 cups. I had to stop and three different places to find the 7 and 8 cups. Question about the gas lens and cups, they do not screw all the way up to the white piece of the torch. Is this an issue? Looking at how they are made it doesn't seem like it will be but wanted to verify.

As for the weld. Since so many have mentioned contamination and the likely hood I have some under the surface, I decided to move to the other end of the square tube and use a different angle piece. I ground all of the surfaces shiny, then for extra measure I brushed them with a stainless brush. Below are the results. Not good, but better. I also tried to use a 3/32 filler rod and had the shakes, which is what caused the holes and lack of tie in. I really should have picked up some 1/8 filler while I was there. I just didn't think about it.

As this point I think I'm just going to drag the MIG out tomorrow and chick-crap this project together. I don't weld much better with the MIG either. :( Oxy-fuel on the other hand, that I can do. I have plenty of up and coming projects that I can practice TIG on. I prefer the TIG because my shop has wood floors and the flux-core splatter + wood floor fills the place with smoke pretty quick. :lol:

Thank you again everyone!!

jwinder

I may have found one issue. During the first welds I was using the filler rods I use with oxy-acetylene. It took some Googling to find out there is a difference between them and the TIG filler rods I purchased today.

For those that are wondering, I guess the gas filler rods have more oxygen still in them then the TIG filler rods. Who knew making metal stick together was so complicated.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

You gas lens kit needs a larger white insulator or an additional smaller one that fits against the one you already have.

The cup is supposed to butt up against the insulator.

If it does not, it may screw in until the inside edge of the cup contacts the leading edge of the collet body.

As the cup heats and cools it will snap off at the contact point.

Btw, the students I'm teaching are all using a standard lens setup and have not experienced your porosity problem. The lens is likely not the issue.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

jwinder wrote:I ground all of the surfaces shiny, then for extra measure I brushed them with a stainless brush.
That stainless brush is no longer usable on stainless steel. Fine for scuffing aluminum (though I wouldn't use it there either) but the moment you scrub carbon steel with that brush, you will transfer and embed carbon into stainless stock on its next use. The carbon transmitted will rust on the stainless material later. Moral of the story: stainless brushes only for stainless and aluminum. Carbon steel for carbon steel. Ne'er the two shall meet.

I see you realized you were using OA rods. Might try some ER70s2 wire and repeat your welds. Heck, use some MIG wire off your spool, its the same thing, just thinner. If that wire welds properly, take a length of MIG wire, fold it in half, and put the two loose ends in your electric drill. Pinch the "loop" in your fingers, then spin the drill slowly. This winds the 2 lengths into a doubled-up wire and more easily used when a thicker wire is needed, but not on hand. ;)
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

jwinder wrote:I may have found one issue. During the first welds I was using the filler rods I use with oxy-acetylene. It took some Googling to find out there is a difference between them and the TIG filler rods I purchased today.

For those that are wondering, I guess the gas filler rods have more oxygen still in them then the TIG filler rods. Who knew making metal stick together was so complicated.
Hot gluing metal together isn't hard, it's an aquired skill that anyone can learn but there is more to being a welder than just welding. Having a little knowledge of metallurgy is as important as welding skills are and you just found that out. Anyone can show up at a job welding the same thing the same way every day with no concern as to what they are doing other than the Friday paycheck. It's when you have to make decisions for yourself and learn things through trial and error or listening to others good advice is when it all comes together. The fun thing about welding is there is always more to learn. You'll see as your skills progress. One day you will sit back and wonder what is the hard part of welding. The hardest part is learning the why instead of just the how. Send in some more pics with your gas lens setup now. Bet you find that welding just got a little easier. 8-)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

jwinder wrote: ...Who knew making metal stick together was so complicated.
Enough people to create forums like this, apparently. If it were easy, why spend the effort we do?

;)

Steve S
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

If your flux core is filling your shop with smoke quick may I recommend you read the safety precautions on the wire spool, particularly the part that says with flux core you must have forced shield ventilation, filtered air to your shield, really good exhaust system or die alot sooner than you wished.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:
jwinder wrote: ...Who knew making metal stick together was so complicated.
Enough people to create forums like this, apparently. If it were easy, why spend the effort we do?

;)

Steve S
Well there is no challenge in glueing two pieces together. It's just we like to do it up to a standard that doesn't kill people. We make it complicated. We could just throw a sketchy stick weld down and call her good on a trailer project, but we don't because we know some family will end up following us down the interstate going to church and we don't need the trailer to fall apart (nor does the insurance company want that either.)
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick